Lubricating Blade Spindles

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #11  
I have shattered spindles, but never once had a bearing failure.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #12  
My Crapsman ate several sets of bearings, both upper and lower. I got to be pretty quick at replacing them, but this last set has been in a few years now. NO grease fittings at all on those spindles.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles
My X300 is a 2010 model with a 42 inch deck, I have no idea if the bearings are sealed. I wish I would have kept the old spindles and looked at the bearings. Maybe someone out there has that year model X300 and can tell if they are sealed or not. If they are sealed then what is the purpose for the grease zert. Thanks for the replies.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #14  
My X300 is a 2010 model with a 42 inch deck, I have no idea if the bearings are sealed. I wish I would have kept the old spindles and looked at the bearings. Maybe someone out there has that year model X300 and can tell if they are sealed or not. If they are sealed then what is the purpose for the grease zert. Thanks for the replies.

Google John Deere Parts Online. You'll end up at JD's website where you can do a parts search for your deck. It will clearly show you what you have in regards to the spindles and/or bearings.

Actually, go to the link I gave you earlier and change the model.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #15  

bmg
See your parts in reply #6. Take the bearing part # shown and call your Deere dealer parts guys, and they can tell you if sealed or not.. likely are sealed.

The zerk may be for looks.. and appear more robust to a buyer..

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #16  
You can watch the video shown in post #7 and view it at about 2 minutes in. It's very simple to observe what you have installed that way. Another option is to look up the part numbers and Google them. I did and found that most offerings were totally sealed, but the Deere OEM ones seemed to use a metal seal. One supplier included this information:

This bearing is the same size as the John Deere bearings and has a metal seal on both sides.
The John Deere lower bearing (GX21510) has a seal only on one side, is open on the other.
The John Deere upper bearing (GX20818) has a seal on both sides like this bearing.

This bearing can be used to replace the upper or lower bearings on John Deere spindles calling for bearings GX21510 or GX20818.
(Almost all other manufacturers use bearings sealed on both sides for the bottom bearing)

As to the purpose of the zerk fitting, it's very possible that the spindle is supplied to Deere from an outside vendor. That vendor supplies the same part to other manufacturers, and some may want the zerk fitting.

Great info !

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #17  
I have a Bushog ztr and rear finishing mower both use same spindles. Had spindle bearing to fail on the rear finishing mower and took it to be repaired where mower was bought. When I saw how large the area in the house was that needed to be filled with grease it amazed me. I have been putting like 20 pumps on hand grease gun in there about ever 10 hours. The dealer laughed at that...he said no wonder it failed. Also be sure to use right grease.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #18  
I replaced the bearings on my old JD 170 mower, the bearings were sealed old and new, we popped the seals out of the replacement bearings, the mower failed before the spindle bearings did.
Later I asked my JD dealers mechanic what the deal was with the grease fitting and sealed bearings, I was told it is to help keep water out of the spindle housing since they will tend to suck a bit in if the deck is washed immediately after mowing and the spindles and bearings are warm.
On the old mower the grease fittings were under the deck, a real PITA to get to. The new one the the fittings are center and top of the spindles like Oversized post showed.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles
I got great advice, next time I'll just get new bearings instead of buying the new spindles. I guess it does make sense to grease the spindles to keep out water since I wash my mower down after every use. I just need to get the right part #'s for the bearings. I may just go ahead and get new bearings and put them up cause I will be using this mower for years to come.

/ Lubricating Blade Spindles #20  
If they are sealed bearings, the grease you are pumping isnt getting to the bearings. But think of the grease as simply something to lubricate and fill the void between the bearings. Which prevents moisture, condensation, rust, etc.

I have some mowers that I have replaced sealed bearings and popped the inner seals out, others I have left as "maintenance-free" sealed bearings. I cannot definitively say what is better. But my preference is actually being greasable.

I do know that scag spindles are regarded as some of the best in the industry. And rather than ball bearings (sealed or not) they use a pair of timken tapered rollers and external seals. Couple pumps of grease every 50 hours and they last a VERY LONG TIME.