LX 266 erratic idle

/ LX 266 erratic idle #1  

seagravedriver

Tractor
52 8N, JD LX266 Lawn tractor, Case Ingersol
I am not sure of the age of my lawn tractor, but it has been pretty good to us. Ran into a no start with it, and it was solved with a new fuel pump. Starts easy, but idles poor. I can look at the linkage and watch part of it move about 3/8 of an inch back and forth, though it is slightly better with the throttle ran up a bit.

I am thinking of replacing the carb, as I am sure I had used some of the fuel that is sold in my area with ethanol in it. I don't run any of my two stroke equipment on it, as they would hardly start with it. Perhaps the ethanol fuel did a number on the carb as well as the fuel pump?

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this? New fuel filter, the fuel is clean, ethanol free, and high octane, (that is the only way I can get ethanol free fuel).

Many thanks, Craig

/ LX 266 erratic idle #2  
The surging is almost always due to a dirty carb. Sometimes in passages that you can't see or even get to.

/ LX 266 erratic idle #3  
   / LX 266 erratic idle
Thanks! I will give the Sea Foam a try! I am off shift in a mere 17 hours. If I can skip paying $130.00+ for a carb, I am happy. Once it is going, time to replace the top of the hood, then the seat.....

/ LX 266 erratic idle #5  
You probably have some tiny fuel line pieces in the carb, low idle circuit from changing the fuel pump. Is the fuel filter before or after the pump? I've actually put two filters in one to protect the fuel pump and the other to protect the carb.

/ LX 266 erratic idle
The fuel filter is before the pump. I will be adding another after soon. I will be grabbing some Sea Foam on the way home from work.

/ LX 266 erratic idle #7  
I am not sure of the age of my lawn tractor, but it has been pretty good to us. Ran into a no start with it, and it was solved with a new fuel pump. Starts easy, but idles poor. I can look at the linkage and watch part of it move about 3/8 of an inch back and forth, though it is slightly better with the throttle ran up a bit.

I am thinking of replacing the carb, as I am sure I had used some of the fuel that is sold in my area with ethanol in it. I don't run any of my two stroke equipment on it, as they would hardly start with it. Perhaps the ethanol fuel did a number on the carb as well as the fuel pump?

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this? New fuel filter, the fuel is clean, ethanol free, and high octane, (that is the only way I can get ethanol free fuel).

Many thanks, Craig

If you tractor is as old as you make it sound, then there's a good chance that the throttle control linkage is worn, out of adjustment or missing a spring.

Richard

/ LX 266 erratic idle
Thanks Firemanbuck82! That being said, I used the SeaFoam, and while it may run a bit smoother, it still has that pronounced "slow and regular" surge. Dare I say.........vvvvvvrrrrrRRRRRRROOOOMMMMmmmmmvvvvvvrrrrrrrRRRRRRROOOOOMMMMmmmm. OVER and over again. The RPMs only go up a couple of hundred or so, but it is screwy. Kinda like taking a old 2cycle Detroit Deisel, when they had that odd idle when they were cold on start up.

Also, some of the bushings in the linkage is gone. Springs are tight, but there is some issues with the bushings, or lack of. I wonder if I can post a video on this site?

/ LX 266 erratic idle
So it is running great now! Removed fuel tank, (my son did:) ), and a new plug wire/module. There was some nasty junk deep in the tank, and the plug wire was looking pretty tired.