LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #1  

JME81

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610HSDC
I have a LX2610 cab, it has 19.5 rear PTO. Specs say that this needs 20-50. Is this enough or should I look at another model?

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #2  
Chippers are prone to stoppage.

If you are powering them with minimum horsepower and minimum engine/flywheel inertia chippers are prone to stopping more often.

Last edited:
   / LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #3  
Depends on what your chipping. Feed slow and you'll be ok

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #4  
You have 2 opposing views now. They are probably both right! Would be nice to see someone post with experience with this specific chipper. I have an L3301 with an 8” Woodmaxx chipper. I have had no issues; but different animal than what you are considering.

Jack

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #5  
So there are two landpride chippers under that link, one appears right sized for your tractor. Why not select that one? As a bonus it appears to be belt driven which I'd prefer for tasks like this where it's like this where you'll be spin something that is going to "want" to stop or slow suddenly pretty often, in my mind it seems easier on the PTO.

Here's some things that jump out at me looking at the material from the handouts, to specs, to manual in your link. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I see no listing for how much the flywheel weighs? That is the most important part of a chipper when considering what it might be able to work through and what type of material. Next, the blades are 1/4? That's pretty thin for chipper blades. Total weight appears to be ~450 depending on the model which is lighter than the majority of the quaility chippers in similar sizes (3-4").

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #6  
I wouldn't even bother trying to run a chipper on that tractor.

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper
Funny, GP Outdoors has no issue with his (he has the LX2610), although his chipper is a BECO. I can't find the 4" BECO though.

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #8  
You have 2 opposing views now. They are probably both right! Would be nice to see someone post with experience with this specific chipper. I have an L3301 with an 8” Woodmaxx chipper. I have had no issues; but different animal than what you are considering.

Jack
If your machine is under powered the chipper can and will act as a PTO brake and bog your machine until it stalls. If you have a slip clutch it may trigger it if set up correctly. Jeff9366 and AndyMA are right on the mark.

In my experience a heavy flywheel will help you reduce bog downs. A manual feed chipper keeps you busy cutting branches into tiny pieces to feed easier and is great for your carpal tunnel syndrome. If you don't already have CT you soon will.

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #9  
I’m running a Bearcat 9” chipper with recommended 35-60 hp on a 30 hp at pto. The intelligent controller allows its success. They have a 5” with hydraulic feed with a intelligent controller that minimizes the stalls by stopping the feed when it slows too much. I started with a self feed 5” self powered by 20 hp Honda and still use but added the pto hydr feed after bleeding too much feeding Buckthorn trees into the self feed hopper.
My Bearcat intelligent just takes longer then if I powered it with 60 hp. Depends on your job but I’m off to get the next tree/ branch while it starts/stops the feed until it’s done.

Self feeds pull in some branches best when freshly sharpened, but then I sometimes have to hold back to keep from stalling.
I’d use my 9” all the time, except I have to take my backhoe off ( have added a cab to my L39tlb) and that’s a chore!
Take a look at the Bearcat hydro feed: pricy but really well made.

/ LX2610 and Landpride WC1504 wood chipper #10  
Like Tropical Jack above, we have a Woodmaxx 8" chipper and in my case 30+ PTO HP. But it's close enough to provide some advice to you at 20 PTO HP. Any hydraulic infeed chipper that will let you control or reverse the infeed speed will let you chip anything your HP will allow. My experience is a bit limited so far but I can certainly say that even with 30hp at the PTO I wouldn't want to be fighting with a gravity feed chipper where there's no way to change your mind after you feed it something that will stall the tractor. With infeed control, you can:
slow it down to chip larger stuff...
feed it in spurts if it's just too huge to chip even at slow speeds...
stop it from feeding if the tractor is stalling or for any other reason...
or just give up and reverse it out of the chute and not chip it.

20hp at the PTO should be more than capable of some very decent chipping, just no way you are going to have constant feed above around the 4" diameter range. BUT, I'd still want at LEAST a 6" infeed if not 8" simply because even at 20 PTO HP you can still chip entire 1-2" trees and brush without limbing it. It's not about the biggest thing you can chip, rather what can you chip steadily successfully at slow speed and can you just shove the whole thing at it without extra work. Slower is potentially ok... extra work isn't. Stalling the tractor constantly and burning the chipper belts and putting extra wear on the tractor PTO will just be a miserable and costly fight.

Personal preference here but no matter the HP I wouldn't want to bother chipping with only a 4" opening because of ease of use. 6" minimum 8" preferred even at 20hp. We have just over 30 at the PTO with an 8" WoodMaxx MX-8800 and frankly it's just awesome. But it would really, really NOT be awesome if I couldn't adjust the infeed speed as needed... or just put an entire small scrub tree in and walk away.

Years ago I had one of those small engine personal gravity feed home size branch and leaf chippers and it made me think chipping was one of the dumbest things ever. Now on our larger wooded property this monster 8" with horizontal infeed destroys 6 foot high 30 foot long piles in 1-2 hours of not working too hard.

The moral of the story is, don't underbuy the features on a chipper if you actually intend to use it. This isn't one of those times where you will get away with it. If a chipper doesn't really work well and easily, you won't use it. Just burn or haul it away instead.

Two of the most popular options today for compact tractors that will work at 20 PTO HP:

Woodland Mills sells hydraulic infeed chippers for a reasonable price. The WC68 is a Chinese made 6" model and has full speed control and reverse on the infeed. 20hp minimum.
WoodMaxx sells both Chinese and American made hydraulic infeed chippers priced accordingly to where they are made. The WM-8H is the Chinese made 8" model and has full speed control and reverse on the infeed. 200lb flywheel and 19hp minimum.

Either of these appear to be a LOT less money than the average price of the Land Pride WC1504. Which is a bit surprising.

Last edited: