LX4 making fire breaks

/ LX4 making fire breaks #1  

al3

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110, X500
Here's a shot showing an LX4 at work in the woods. I was hesitant about the "light" duty construction before I bought. Logged about 10 hours attacking this kind of stuff with no issues.

Attachments

• 742873-lx41.jpg
    742873-lx41.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 764
   / LX4 making fire breaks #2  
It'll chop up trees 2 to 3" diameter.

Only sheared the shear bolt once when I backed it off trail into multiple stuff that was 3 to 4" diameter.

So far, the blade seems to be staying factory sharp. Haven't hit too many rocks. Nearing 100 hours on the tractor, about half that on the LX4.

Ralph

/ LX4 making fire breaks #3  
al3, you know a lot more about where you live than I do, but that doesn't look like a fire break to me. When I lived out west (MT, ID) fire breaks were 20+ feet across and scraped down to bare mineral soil. I assume you have to do more than mow where you are?

/ LX4 making fire breaks
44trx: Agree. Picture posted was taken after the 2nd pass. Area now has about a 17 foot clear zone. It's in a bog area, & ground itself is damp year round. Have box bladed my high ground areas & taken it down to sand as you suggested. I could of posted a shot of the completed project but this one has better perspective on the types of brush/trees the LX4 can handle (notice the hight of the "brush" compared to the 4110)
I was looking for feedback on the LX4 before I bought ----thought this might help someone else.

/ LX4 making fire breaks #5  
Like RalphVa said, the LX4 will handle much bigger brush than what we saw in that picture. If stems are under 2" in diam for sure it will chop it up, which is about 3 times the apparent diam of the brush shown. (Maybe there are bigger stems that we are not seeing ?)
Not to diminish your effort or your picture, but that looked like an relatively easy task for the rotary brush cutter. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ LX4 making fire breaks
No claims of project greatness on my behalf ------only relief that the LX and 17PTO HP could do the job. Sounds like I should be using it as an industrial wood chipper.......

/ LX4 making fire breaks #7  
I've been looking at buying an LX4 for use with my 2210. I know there is a difference between the performance of the 4110 and my tractor, but would I be able to expect similar results of the mower with my tractor or should I go for something a little smaller?

/ LX4 making fire breaks #8  
I am not a fan of the LX series! I regularly steerr people away from it. I would much rather be proven wrong, than say it'll take whatever you throw at it, and come up short! Great job.

BTW, I think the big thing that can get you is if you swing wide and smack a fence post or other really immoveable object. I am pretty prone to doing just that!

/ LX4 making fire breaks #9  
The MX is the one "rated" for 2", the LX is "rated" for 1" brush. But that is a good application. I got the MX-6 I will be doing similar type of work, clearing undergrowth about annually( I have it set high for the rocks- nothing mows those)

/ LX4 making fire breaks #10  
My MX6 moews rocks quite nicely (sandstone...) I even have a piece of 2" schedule 40 oil field pipe that it cut... Made an aweful racket, but no marks on the cutter!