Lxx60 block heater max temperature?

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature? #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Is there a max temperature that the Kubota block heaters cut out at or won't come on at?

Yesterday we had 16" of snow so I plugged mine in on my new L4760 about 2 hours before I was going to clear the driveway. Granted it was about 32F... I plugged it in so the cab would be warmer faster when I got going and figured it wouldn't hurt on a new engine either. When I unplugged it after 2 hours the heater stub in the block was not warm.
So - does it not heat over 32F? That seems "wrong".
Can't find anything in the service manual so I came here.

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature? #2  
Is there a max temperature that the Kubota block heaters cut out at or won't come on at?

Yesterday we had 16" of snow so I plugged mine in on my new L4760 about 2 hours before I was going to clear the driveway. Granted it was about 32F... I plugged it in so the cab would be warmer faster when I got going and figured it wouldn't hurt on a new engine either. When I unplugged it after 2 hours the heater stub in the block was not warm.
So - does it not heat over 32F? That seems "wrong".
Can't find anything in the service manual so I came here.
I can't speak directly about your tractor, but my 2016 Chevy Colorado has the factory block heater and they put a thermostat in the cord. It won't work unless the temperature is below a certain temp. I hope it helps!

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature?
I can't speak directly about your tractor, but my 2016 Chevy Colorado has the factory block heater and they put a thermostat in the cord. It won't work unless the temperature is below a certain temp. I hope it helps!

That's what I'm wondering here

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature? #4  
It's the same block heater used on the Lxx40's and I believe M's and there is no indication a thermostat feature is built in. Something is wrong with your cord or heating element.

When operating correctly the brass portion gets very hot and I suggest you do not touch with a bare hand.

If you own an electric meter, check the resistance of the power cord and heating element itself.

I think I had premature postulation here... Pretty sure the plug wasn't all the way in.

While embarrassing - I hear it happens to everyone at some point.

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature? #6  
Nice easy fix:thumbsup: If you want you can get one of these Thermo Cube

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature? #7  
None of my 3 Kubota block heaters have any type of thermostat. Thermo Cube is a good idea.

David

I have a WiFi smart plug that I turn it on / off with from the comfort of the house - and only turn it on when I know I need to use it. It's an even "smarter" plug :)

The issue was the human not being smarter than the plug itself!

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature? #9  
Fishpick
You did not mention how tractor performed in that very wet snow?

Can you be certaIn you always have internet coverage in barn? The smart cube is attractive. Or complicate things. Hard wire short length of SO cord into a box, then use twist lock plugs .

/ Lxx60 block heater max temperature? #10  
I never had a problem starting my Kubota L4200 GST for the 21 years I have owned it, even on mornings when temparatures were down in the single digits. No block heater, I just cycle the glow plug once and start. And I'm only on my second battery for the tractor. :)

Of course, I don't have a cab to bring up to a comfortable temperature before using the tractor.