M Series Drive Train

/ M Series Drive Train #1  

piller

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD ROPS
Hi,
I'm interested in the 4wd hydraulic shuttle shift M series tractors. The engine options seem pretty clear, although I would be interested in the torque rise numbers if someone can provide a link.

Can someone explain the transmission options? The 8F/8R is standard, are the gear ratios the same for different tractors?

What about the creeper option? It sounds like it would be a super low gear and a good thing to have. Anyone have the creeper option, experience or recommendations?

The 8540 and 9540 have an option 12F/12R transmission, how about this? Can one get this and the creeper, would there be any reason to do so?

Finally, all the different M40 tractors have different tire sizes, so do they use different gearing in the front and rear axles?

Thanks,
Chip

/ M Series Drive Train #2  
I can answer some of the questions and guess at others. I had an M8950 with 24F and 12R. It was a hi-lo for 12 forward speeds which gives you 24. It had way more speeds than I needed. I had a low-low of maybe .55? MPH and that's way slower than a low speed needed for a tiller. One MPH is plently slow for a tiller. You can check their speeds on line, perhaps at Carver's or at the Kubota site.
I am near certain all the front and rear gears are the same, with the possible exception of the M9000 mudder and things like that.
They can change tires and wheels around but keep the front to rear ratio correct so no problems.
Hope this helps
Also, the torque rise info is in the sales brochures.

/ M Series Drive Train #3  
Depending on what you are planning on using this tractor for would help determine what tranny is best for you. Generally, the more gears the better but with more gears the higher the cost. If all you plan on using this tractor for is brush chopping and general use around the property just go with the 8x8. If you plan on spraying or baling then go with the 12x12. If you need to go super slow then the creeper is useful but the Kubota owners can tell you the correct warning in the Kubota operators manual warning you not to use the creeper gears for pulling more then the tractor is designed for. The creeper gears amplify the tourqe and from my understanding you can damage the transmission if you are not careful.

Why the question about the gearing of the front and rear axles:confused: I should say, I have never heard that type of question before so I am a little puzzled by it. Generally, the higher the hp the larger tire you need to get the power to the ground unless you are looking at a fruit of vineyard tractor where you generally just need the pto horse power.

/ M Series Drive Train
As for the axle question, I looked online here:
http://kubota.com/f/products/M8540specs.pdf

It says that the 8540 and 9540 4wd use the same 12.4 - 24 front tire but that the 8540 uses a 18.4 - 28 rear while the 9540 uses a 18.4 - 30.
So, I think the rear tire diameter is different and this might cause problems unless the gear ratios were different.

I could not find gear or axle ratios online.
--Chip

/ M Series Drive Train #5  
piller said:
As for the axle question, I looked online here:
http://kubota.com/f/products/M8540specs.pdf

It says that the 8540 and 9540 4wd use the same 12.4 - 24 front tire but that the 8540 uses a 18.4 - 28 rear while the 9540 uses a 18.4 - 30.
So, I think the rear tire diameter is different and this might cause problems unless the gear ratios were different.

I could not find gear or axle ratios online.
--Chip

Then if they have different size rear tires the front axle gear ration has to be different. There will not be any problems unless the dealer is doing this on his own.