Oil & Fuel M5 Series Regeneration frequency

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency #1  

Wormwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5-111 SVL97-2 KX080-4s2
Anyone with an M5 tell me how often they go through regeneration? As of current I go into regen. about every 15-25hrs. The cleaning lasts for about 10mins. after which the PF indicator usually shows 0-5% after the cleaning. This is the first tractor in which the regen. doesn't bother me & I wouldn't even notice it if I didn't have the flashing indicators telling me on the dash.

I just want to make sure as often as I go through regen. That this is normal or similar to others.

Thanks,
Wormwood

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency #2  
Regeneration times are a function of how the tractor is being used. If you're using the tractor hard you will have fewer regeneration cycles as it's heating up as you work. For lighter work days more frequent regeneration can be expected. At a regeneration every fifteen to twenty five hours it appears you aren't working your tractor particularly hard.

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency #3  
I've posted before that that average life of a DPF canister is 2100 to 2300 regens before replacement or cleaning is necessary. Simple math will tell you that chances are you won't even own the unit when the lower limit is reached so quit worrying about something that 1, you have no control over and 2, chances are you'll never reach enough total hours for it to be of any consequence.

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency #4  
Anyone with an M5 tell me how often they go through regeneration? As of current I go into regen. about every 15-25hrs. The cleaning lasts for about 10mins. after which the PF indicator usually shows 0-5% after the cleaning. This is the first tractor in which the regen. doesn't bother me & I wouldn't even notice it if I didn't have the flashing indicators telling me on the dash.

I just want to make sure as often as I go through regen. That this is normal or similar to others.

Thanks,
Wormwood

Do not try to predict regeneration frequency.

There are too many variables involved.

SDT

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency #5  
You are the first person I’ve heard report their regen does not always end at 0%. The M135GX I used to own always ended at zero. My L6060 always ends at zero. My M7-171 will end at zero if I am working hard during regen but will end at 30% if under lighter load (average less than 50% on power meter). Then it will proceed to drop DPF % plugged from 30% down to 10% or so over the next few hours of normal operation before starting to climb. Kubota can’t explain, has flashed software upgrades yearly (it’s in its third year) with no change. They tell my dealer they’ve never seen that before but now I see another person with DPF greater than zero when regen ends. The good old, “You’re the only person with that” response. At least it doesn’t affect anything as the % keeps dropping until it picks up about where it would be if it had dropped to zero in the first place.

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency #6  
Only time soot bothers me is if I was one of the M's and water gets down the stack. When I fire it up, it pukes soot on my clean hood.:D

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency #7  

Thanks,
Wormwood

Not an M5 but an M7060 but I don't keep track of the hours between regenerations. The M7060 does not have a flashing light to indicate the regen is happening - there is an indicator lamp on the dash that comes on but it does not flash. The whole process is so seamless that I probably miss seeing the regen light at times. There is absolutely no difference in the way the tractor operates when the regen occurs. I've been mowing every day for a week now for several hours a day; this week I remember seeing the light being on twice. As in your case, the light is on for about 10 minutes and then goes back off. Don't know if it makes any difference but it has been very cold this week - lows around 20 degrees at dawn when I start mowing and only rising into the 50s in the afternoon. I've heard that running the tractor in cold weather increases the frequency of regens but I cannot confirm that.

/ M5 Series Regeneration frequency
Crap! I thought I had replied but it never posted...

Roadworthy, you're right regen. freq. is a factor of all the things you mention but don't forget the canister size would be a factor which all others would be based off of. In order for Kubota to keep everything under the hood they opted for a smaller canister.

Mharry, the only time I exit regen. with the PM saying 0% would be when bushhogging the pine saplings during the heat of the day. More typically it would end say 1%-3% and yesterday I had to go thru regen while changing implements and that ended with it saying 8%. I'll ask my service dept. about...

Deserteagle, I guess my apprehension with regen. is a throw back with the smaller Kubota or maybe just the open cabs. In those tractors the regen process stinks, loud, & an annoying back pressure from the tractor to any operation of the hydraulics. The M5 couldn't be anymore opposite of this, it's quiet, powerful, & you're not fighting the tractor to do something, so regen is really no longer an issue, I'm just checking to make sure my time between is somewhat normal.

One last thing my sales guy emailed me telling me to make sure to keep the DEF tank completely filled. Something about the heater is so good it can turn the def into vapor which is even more corrosive. Not sure how accurate that is but the point was to ieep it topped off.

Woemwood