M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I wonder how many Kubota Tier 3/interim 4 owners have done the 250 hr. maintenance on their mufflers? I haven't, but know I should try to stay up to date with the technical maintenance stuff that I don't understand.

Basically the operator's manual says to first try method "A" which is unscrew the muffler drain plug and tap (tap?) on the muffler with a stick until crud comes out. If that doesn't work, do method "B" - which is pull the whole muffler off and beat some more. Why? What happens? How do I know how much is enough?

Do all the Kubotas built in the Interim Tier IV era 2007-2014 need that mainenance?

rScotty

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #2  
Asked in a similar post about spark arrester maintenance 7-20.
From others experiences didn’t try to attempt the maintenance on the M59.

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #3  
The 2016 B26 came with short tail pipe screen spark arrestor. option, $70. Cleaned the screen several times 100-200hours always partial blockage. “Felt” a little increase in power after cleaning. Operated a while without the tail pipe. Noticed more black inside the loader arm lower side exhaust, so cut the screen out just use the extended tail pipe piece. Low fire hazard around here.

Hopefully the spark arrestor. screen in the M59 inside the muffler has enough heat to be self cleaning. Asked the service manager once about this and didn’t know what I was talking about. Be interesting if anyone has ever got much out of cleaning inside muffler spark arrestor. Only see black blue smoke a little when starting cold. Operate mostly with auto-throttle.

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #4  
I wonder how many Kubota Tier 3/interim 4 owners have done the 250 hr. maintenance on their mufflers? I haven't, but know I should try to stay up to date with the technical maintenance stuff that I don't understand.

Basically the operator's manual says to first try method "A" which is unscrew the muffler drain plug and tap (tap?) on the muffler with a stick until crud comes out. If that doesn't work, do method "B" - which is pull the whole muffler off and beat some more. Why? What happens? How do I know how much is enough?

Do all the Kubotas built in the Interim Tier IV era 2007-2014 need that mainenance?

rScotty
Hello rScotty. I have a 2012 MX4700 and this is the first time I've heard of a muffler maintenance schedule. From what I can tell from pictures of the M59 your exhaust pipe does not go up and likely exhausts downwards somehow. Same as mine. I also do not recall seeing a "muffler drain plug". I believe we have the same V2403 engine. MX4700 non turbo and MX5100 turbo. I would be curious to see how our muffler systems differ. I will try to take a photo later and post it. Would you mind doing the same?

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance
Hello rScotty. I have a 2012 MX4700 and this is the first time I've heard of a muffler maintenance schedule. From what I can tell from pictures of the M59 your exhaust pipe does not go up and likely exhausts downwards somehow. Same as mine. I also do not recall seeing a "muffler drain plug". I believe we have the same V2403 engine. MX4700 non turbo and MX5100 turbo. I would be curious to see how our muffler systems differ. I will try to take a photo later and post it. Would you mind doing the same?

No problem I'll do it next time I'm out there. Do you have an operator's manual? If so, look under "PERIODIC SERVICE OF THE TRACTOR". In my manual, instructions for cleaning the muffler is the only entry under "EVERY 250 HOURS".

Here are the photos. The plug is clearly visible.
It's a "FleetGuard"
Looking at the exploded parts diagrams on Messick's site, it looks like our mufflers are the same muffler can but with different bend to the pipes in and out because of the turbo.
Kubota's price is in the 500 dollar range, which is enough to dissuade me from buying one just to cut up for curiosity. Good place for a borescope though.
My bet is it a simple longitudinal screen within a can....Might be able to track it down by the FleetGuard model number stamped on the muffler.
rScotty
M59 muffler closeup.JPG
M59 Muffler.JPG

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #7  
Here are the photos. The plug is clearly visible.
It's a "FleetGuard"
Looking at the exploded parts diagrams on Messick's site, it looks like our mufflers are the same muffler can but with different bend to the pipes in and out because of the turbo.
Kubota's price is in the 500 dollar range, which is enough to dissuade me from buying one just to cut up for curiosity. Good place for a borescope though.
My bet is it a simple longitudinal screen within a can....Might be able to track it down by the FleetGuard model number stamped on the muffler.
rScotty
View attachment 724126View attachment 724127
Oh, interesting. My muffler looks a little different. Here are my pics. Sorry not as good as yours. Front end loader and hood in the way.

Attachments

• 20211207_113545.jpg
    20211207_113545.jpg
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20211207_113456.jpg
    20211207_113456.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20211207_113403.jpg
    20211207_113403.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20211207_113328.jpg
    20211207_113328.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 88
   / M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #8  
Thanks for posting those pics!! Also checked the workshop manual and it did not mention servicing the muffler. I forgot to see if there was anything in the owners manual. I will try to remember tomorrow. If you wind up doing this service could you please let me know how that went? Wondering how much crud would come out.

/ M59 & 2007-2014 Muffler Maintenance #9  
See the thread Smokeydog started on July 1, 2020 (Kubota > KubotaOwning/Operating > Spark arrester cleaning). My experience is with the M59's little brother, an L45, but much similar.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those pics!! Also checked the workshop manual and it did not mention servicing the muffler. I forgot to see if there was anything in the owners manual. I will try to remember tomorrow. If you wind up doing this service could you please let me know how that went? Wondering how much crud would come out.

Your pictures seem good enough to see what is going on. I don't see the square headed drain plug in your muffler that we can see in my M59 & not sure what that means....

BTW, I didn't remove that plug on mine to see if it would put out some carbon. I just turned it a quarter turn just to prove to myself that it was free, will wait until some day when the muffler is hot to remove it. I'm not expecting much.

Right now my inclination would be to borescope it and follow that with a snake if it seemed necessary.

Our M59 smokes heavily when starting or changing revs...but burns clean at constant RPM. The EGR valve system doesn't appear to do anything at all.
rScotty