Loader M59 broken loader pin

/ M59 broken loader pin
My pins and probably bushings are worn. Probably have 5-7” of play at the bucket edge or grapple tips. When I bought the tractor used, one pin wouldn’t take grease so removed pin and cleaned harden grease/metal from the grease groove. Pin had some step wear. Another maintenance item on the list.

I think the pin breakage at the grease groove comes from flexing during use. Wear might make it flex more.

Ordered 4 new pins today @$20ea from local Kubota dealer. Know more when they get installed.

/ M59 broken loader pin #12  
I always break a lower pin. I keep an extra onhand.

/ M59 broken loader pin #13  
I grease my equipment maybe once a week - it depends on what I've been doing. For example, working in wet sand down by the creek with the backhoe I might grease it 3x/day. I've never broken a pin - yet. I have had a few problems with hardened grease and pin wear from that.

I've seen enough hardened grease in the joints to make me pay attention to grease compatibility.
It's entirely possible to use the wrong grease and end up with pin-to-bushing fit that looks to be full of grease but what is actually in there is just the thickener without the oil.

Grease Compatibility Chart and Reference Guide
How to Determine Grease Compatibility and Why It's Important
rScotty

/ M59 broken loader pin
Good point on the grease. Have to check compatibility of the main two I use on farm equipment.
IMG_1244.JPG
Photo shows a broken lower ssqa pin, upper used pin and new pin. Replaced all 4 lift pins on the ssqa assembly. The broken one broke at the grease groove. Used pins showed wear 0.5-1mm(0.020-0.040”) along the load side. New pins 30x150mm. Easy and straightforward to replace. Kubota dealer could not show the bushings on their parts drawing. ??? Reduced a couple inches of play. Still play in bushings and the other four linkage pins. No hardened grease in the grease grooves hopefully means an improved maintenance regime at its new home.
With grapple loads of trees cleared it puts tremendous dynamic loads on these parts.
Keep things spinning in greasy grooves!

/ M59 broken loader pin #15  
Good point on the grease. Have to check compatibility of the main two I use on farm equipment.
View attachment 628639
Photo shows a broken lower ssqa pin, upper used pin and new pin. Replaced all 4 lift pins on the ssqa assembly. The broken one broke at the grease groove. Used pins showed wear 0.5-1mm(0.020-0.040”) along the load side. New pins 30x150mm. Easy and straightforward to replace. Kubota dealer could not show the bushings on their parts drawing. ??? Reduced a couple inches of play. Still play in bushings and the other four linkage pins. No hardened grease in the grease grooves hopefully means an improved maintenance regime at its new home.
With grapple loads of trees cleared it puts tremendous dynamic loads on these parts.

I've not saw any wear in the ones I've broke. They always break right where your's did.

/ M59 broken loader pin #16  
The grease groove and cross hole just make a for a weak spot.

Yes it's nice to have all the fittings easily accessible from the side of the tractor but it makes for a weak spot on the pins.

/ M59 broken loader pin #17  

Yes it's nice to have all the fittings easily accessible from the side of the tractor but it makes for a weak spot on the pins.

Yep....

/ M59 broken loader pin #18  

Many times there is a price to pay for convenience.

/ M59 broken loader pin #20  
View attachment 628639
Photo shows a broken lower ssqa pin, upper used pin and new pin. Replaced all 4 lift pins on the ssqa assembly. The broken one broke at the grease groove. Used pins showed wear 0.5-1mm(0.020-0.040? along the load side. New pins 30x150mm. Easy and straightforward to replace. Kubota dealer could not show the bushings on their parts drawing. ??? Reduced a couple inches of play. Still play in bushings and the other four linkage pins. No hardened grease in the grease grooves hopefully means an improved maintenance regime at its new home.

Smokeydog, those are some great photos. They clearly look to have been run without grease until they seized. The torn metal is obvious on the one that hasn't broken yet - but is about to...., just as it is on the broken one.

Like most mechanical guys, when I'm running grease into a joint, I try to sort of visualize what the internals of that joint must look like. Doing that helps me to decide whether or not I've gotten the joint properly greased as the grease starts to ooze out the side. The problem with grease joints is you can't really know you got it right.. Just have to take some of it on faith.

But the M59 loader pins are weird. Several times when I've been greasing the front on mine I recall stopping in puzzlement trying to figure out just how that pin & bushing pair would have to be drilled to grease all the wear surfaces. It would have to be pretty fancy. But each time in the past I've put the puzzle away for another day. Now you've inspired me to pull the pins on mine and see how they are doing.

When we see this many pins breaking, I've got to be suspicious and wonder if Kubota got the grease path figured correctly.

Another surprise was that the loader parts are not shown in the printed M59 parts manual I bought from Messick's. I thought that parts book was complete - it sure was costly enough... , but apparently does not include the loader.

No problem, this morning I went online to Messick's parts dept. and was able to look at all the loader parts along with inventory and prices. All the bushings are there, as well as the pins. They keep them all in stock..... I'll attach some .jpgs below. Those guys really go the extra mile to help owners.

In fact, I not only found the loader pins and bushings, but under loader parts I also found the missing hood protector that we discussed here on TBN a few months ago! The optional hood protector thingy is listed under "loader parts". Well, OK...that sort of makes sense, but no wonder those desireable hood protectors were so hard to find and to order. Our M59 just happened to come with one.
rScotty

Attachments

• M59 Loader_1.jpg
    M59 Loader_1.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 50
  • M59 loader parts_2.jpg
    M59 loader parts_2.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 54