M680HD fuel bleeding procedure

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure #1  

circled

Tractor
Kubota M6800, RK 24
Good Afternoon All,

In the near, warmer, future I intend to clean out my diesel/water separator. I have read quite a bit on here about the difficulty of bleeding the fuel system after reinstalling due to unclear manual directions. I have included the directions from my 6800 manual and was hoping someone might be able to steer me correctly or point out the problem with the directions. Thanks in advance!
m6800 fuel bleed.JPG

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure #2  
I am not seeing any problems with these instructions. Straightforward and easy to understand IMO. Pretty much a carbon copy for "bleeding" the air out of anything these days or yesterday really.
Find and familiarize yourself with the a ,b ,c and d. Locate the 1-4s. follow the procedure. I will say the instructions might not stress how important it is to have pressure as you "pump the fuel pump 3" The instruction use the word "firm"....stiff or hard might be better terminology IMO
A quick look on YouTube and there are some vids on there that may help you
Can I ask why you are "cleaning out" the water separator? can you see water in it? If you cant see water in it.....likely no water in it. "If it is not broken don't fix it"

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure #3  
Agree with Priberc - I've never taken apart/cleaned the water separater on any of my diesel equipment. I also know that if I fix stuff that doesn't need fixing to begin with, then things will likely go downhill quickly......

if you see that something is wrong with it, then obviously fix it. Otherwise may be better to just quietly back away......

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure
I am not seeing any problems with these instructions. Straightforward and easy to understand IMO. Pretty much a carbon copy for "bleeding" the air out of anything these days or yesterday really.
Find and familiarize yourself with the a ,b ,c and d. Locate the 1-4s. follow the procedure. I will say the instructions might not stress how important it is to have pressure as you "pump the fuel pump 3" The instruction use the word "firm"....stiff or hard might be better terminology IMO
A quick look on YouTube and there are some vids on there that may help you
Can I ask why you are "cleaning out" the water separator? can you see water in it? If you cant see water in it.....likely no water in it. "If it is not broken don't fix it"
Thanks for the reply Priberc. I have had the tractor for a little over a year. Part of my going through it was treating the fuel with bioBar and fuel injector cleaner. As it has sat for the last 3 months, while looking around I saw some sediment/crud in the bottom of the bowl. No water, ring is still pretty much on bottom. Just gonna clean it out but as I said, read bleeding per the instructions could be a bear. Maybe the instructions I have are newer or improved? Just thought I'd check in to see what other owners were doing ... hints or tips.

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure #5  
Thanks for the reply Priberc. I have had the tractor for a little over a year. Part of my going through it was treating the fuel with bioBar and fuel injector cleaner. As it has sat for the last 3 months, while looking around I saw some sediment/crud in the bottom of the bowl. No water, ring is still pretty much on bottom. Just gonna clean it out but as I said, read bleeding per the instructions could be a bear. Maybe the instructions I have are newer or improved? Just thought I'd check in to see what other owners were doing ... hints or tips.
A little crud in the sediment bowl....personally I would not worry about it. Thats what the sediment bowl is for. When you change fuel filters is the time to clean it. Did you check out YouTube?

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure #6  
good advice from Priberc, the separator bowl is there for a reason, very easy to view & service if necessary. i don't do it very often. on mine, there is a red felt ring in the bowl. water accumulation makes it float & an easy visual when to service. if you get your diesel from a high volume dealer, & you treat fuel, shouldn't have to do very often

i am not of the school of thought to leave it alone. wise on your part to post question & service.
imho the M6800 & M9000 are among the best M series prior to the XX40 models. cheers
btw i'd surely change the fuel filter @ the same time

Last edited:
Good Afternoon All,

In the near, warmer, future I intend to clean out my diesel/water separator. I have read quite a bit on here about the difficulty of bleeding the fuel system after reinstalling due to unclear manual directions. I have included the directions from my 6800 manual and was hoping someone might be able to steer me correctly or point out the problem with the directions. Thanks in advance!View attachment 734106
OP here. Weather permitted so I attempted to clean the water separator today. Didn't even get to the bleeding portion as the on/off lever (diagram 1) will not turn. I did notice a phillips screw on the end of it, do I need to loosen that to turn the lever? If it's not one thing it is another, feeling pretty stupid. Thanks!.

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure #8  
mmmm IMO you should not need use much force on this. It might just be "frozen/seized". So if you have not twisted it very hard try again with some more oomph behind it. The Phillips screw likely just attaches the lever. Is that lever plastic? Can you get a set of pliers on it some how to help/add some extra oomph without putting all the torque through the lever and breaking it. Try watching some you tube vids if this fails

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply priberc! Went the pliers route, not moving. I don't think it is seized. I may try just loosening the lever screw tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. The lever and housing is metal. I have looked at YouTube but the videos I've found involve newer or smaller tractors. Just different enough to not really apply! I'll see if any one else chimes in, if not I'll give the lever screw a try. Thanks again!

/ M680HD fuel bleeding procedure #10  
Thanks for the reply priberc! Went the pliers route, not moving. I don't think it is seized. I may try just loosening the lever screw tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. The lever and housing is metal. I have looked at YouTube but the videos I've found involve newer or smaller tractors. Just different enough to not really apply! I'll see if any one else chimes in, if not I'll give the lever screw a try. Thanks again!
How old is it? Did you buy it used? Do you know the last time the filter was changed.....if ever. On other equipment I have seen fuel shut offs and petcocks seize up because they were never used. How much fuel is in the machine? Can you drain the fuel ,remove and take apart the valve?