M7040 Problem

/ M7040 Problem #1  

r40kh

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I have a two year old M7040 power shuttle. I noticed this week when I started the unit the tractor would rock back and forth during warm up with the idle rpm set at 1400 rpm. Both the main transmission and shuttle were in neutral at the time.When the tractor is warm this does not occur. I have advised my dealer and they agree that shouldn't/can't happen but advised that I should keep the parking brake on while sitting unattended. That doesn't solve anything. What's funny is that if I take the idle rpm to 2000 rpm or lower it to 1000rpm the rocking stops. I did a search on this forum and found a thread called "jerky hydraulics" that mirrors my problem exactly. Unfortunately the thread was never updated as to what was found to be causing the problem. Anyone else ever experience this? and if so what was the solution. I have one month of warranty remaining and I would hate to have a problem with these symptons that may lead to a more serious problem after the expiration of the warranty..although because I have reported the problem to the dealer I would expect them to look after me..I hope

/ M7040 Problem #2  
Which hyd oil do you use? If main trans is in neutral then it appears to me this must be "cold oil" related. I don't ever lock my M7040 brakes down for parking because Kubota was "too tight to install a warning light/buzzer" and I don't want my employees driving around with brakes applied.

/ M7040 Problem #3  
Take it in and get the dealer to sort it under warranty while you still can. It could be crap in your shuttle or a bad seal so.

/ M7040 Problem #4  
If you can't get them to fix it, document everything, we had an engine replaced on a John Deere after the warranty had expired because it was reported well in advance of the expiration, had a really good dealer too.

/ M7040 Problem
I have a good dealer and I expect that he will look after me..but what he's saying is that they never heard of this problem. I'm assuming that if someone else had the problem as indicated in a thread on this forum that the issue would have been reported to Kubota and there should exist some information on the cause and solution in their data base. The dealer wants me to try it again to see if the problem repeats...of course its +15 here today and I only have the problem when cold so I'll have to wait.

/ M7040 Problem #6  
No argument there, but some problems may be so rare records are hard to find, who knows. I remember an issue with a "clunking noise" on a M7040 owned by NICOT that was not resolved. I kept in touch with him for a while and he finally traded his off.

/ M7040 Problem
Tx Jim...The dealer did my last service so Kubota oil all around. That service was done at 60 hours and I have just over 100 now. I agree not having a warning alarm/light when the brake is on sucks. Like you I seldom use the brake

/ M7040 Problem #8  
I should have been more explicit on type of oil UDT or SUDT?

/ M7040 Problem
I'm using UDT

I just received an email from my dealer with the response from Kubota which basically states that this a a normal occurrence for this tractor

Here is what they say:

"The scenario as described sounds like a normal condition for tractors equipped with Hydraulic shuttle type transmissions. Basically the drag applied to the clutch plates within the clutch packs during cold temperatures is enough to simulate some partial drive. Because tractor is so easy to roll it may in some cases provide a minimal amount of movement if brake is not applied.

Please assure customer that we have not seen any failures related to this and if all procedures related to service and operation are followed as described in OPS manual, that there should be no concern of a problem to arise.

Hope this helps
Thanks
Henry

/ M7040 Problem #10  
I'm glad I live where the temperature doesn't get low enough so that my M7040 sits still when engine is started.