M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #1  

RoyKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
M7060HSC/18, RTV-X1100C
What have you done to protect the fuel tank and the valve assemble.

A stick bent my protection plate over valves got bent down about 8 inches

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #2  
Sorry to hear that. No real suggestions. I could never use a cab style tractor for any length of time for the reason of just what happened to you and several other issues. If you are often on steep ground, often dodging tree limbs and brush, having to operate brush cutters whose controls were not made to fit in somebody's living room, jumping on and off the tractor every few minutes, etc.... just won't work for me.

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #3  
I've had two tractors - both open station. The only trees I have - giant, ancient Ponderosa pines. One low limb would/could completely wipe out a cab. I've been hit/slapped many times. I repair at little or no cost. I've also learned the skill of "riding low".

My M6040 came with a very heavy duty, all encompassing skid plate that protects the hydraulics. No problems there either.

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #4  
I've had two tractors - both open station. The only trees I have - giant, ancient Ponderosa pines. One low limb would/could completely wipe out a cab. ( I've been hit/slapped many times.) I repair at little or no cost. ( I've also learned the skill of "riding low".)

My M6040 came with a very heavy duty, all encompassing skid plate that protects the hydraulics. No problems there either.

Sounds like a bad date.......

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #5  
I forgot, on a previous tractor (John Deere open station) about 15 years ago, while bush hogging, I saw a limb drawn back by the FEL frame and the thought hit me that thing could... and I still have the scar across my lower face where the limb hit me. Closest I have been to being knocked off the tractor.

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #6  
My prior open station tractors took some hits around the hydraulics but not to the extent of damage. Worst case was a dented hydraulic filter. Now that I have a cab due to extreme winter conditions, I built a skid plate to protect the hydraulics. With that, I’m super observant when going off road into the trees. I know without a doubt, the high risk of damaging glass or hoses. I’ve already broke the left hand door glass on a post by my barn. I wished I could swing an open station for forest work and have the cab for winter work. That ship has sailed though since I retired.

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #7  
We were in NE WY last Sept (through Lusk and Newcastle) and you have a radically different "row to hoe" out there. Given the weather in winter and summer exposure to sun and heat I'd have a cab too!

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #8  
We were in NE WY last Sept (through Lusk and Newcastle) and you have a radically different "row to hoe" out there. Given the weather in winter and summer exposure to sun and heat I'd have a cab too!

Yes, I can take the heat but below zero temps aren’t in my wheel house anymore .

/ M7060 cab, vulnerable to stick damage #9  
Roy, I drove over a short log I hardly noticed and it pitched up just right and jammed into where the hard Hydraulic lines come out near the shifter linkages.... i couldn't get the tractor back into gear and thought WTF!!! Took a whole lot of swearing to bend that bracket back enough so the linkages were free....
I plan to build a skid plate to protect the fuel tank, across to those hydraulic lines, filters. Not sure how far forward i'll take it or even how i'll mount it yet but i guess these are the fun things about working any machine....

Last edited: