M8540 ROPS Question

/ M8540 ROPS Question #1  

frankv

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5525, Century 3045, Farmall A
I think I have decided, at least on paper, that I want an M8540 ROPS with no loader. I was on the fence on the M7040 or the M8540, but as the price difference is so small and I need a tractor for tillage work I am leaning towards the heavier tractor.

Up here in New England though, no one stocks an open station M8540 or M9540. They are all Cabs.

My concern is that I was able to drive an open station M7040 and was not comfortable with the foot throttle position. I am 6'2" and have to put the seat back as far as it goes. The foot throttle is directly in front of the loader arm assembly requiring me twist my foot outward to hit the throttle. (I am pidgeon toed so this is not comfortable).

In the M9540 I test drove the throttle was perfectly in line with where my foot rested, but it was a cab model.

Is the open station M8540/M9540 laid out differently than the M7040? If it is the same perhaps if the throttle was forward a little more it may also help.

Can anyone with an open station M8540 help out? Naturally I am uncomfortable ordering a tractor without a test drive...

/ M8540 ROPS Question #2  
frankv,

I snapped a couple of pics of my M8540 open station and the foot throttle position. Maybe these will help. If you need more, let me know.

David

Attachments

• Foot pedal 001.jpg
    Foot pedal 001.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Foot pedal 002.jpg
    Foot pedal 002.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 241
   / M8540 ROPS Question
Thanks David!!

So it looks like it is almost exactly the same as the M7040's layout. If the spacing is the same then it won't work for me as I will be on it all day, most days this summer.

I found someone locally who has one that he rents out and he offered to let me "play" with it on Monday.

/ M8540 ROPS Question #4  
I'm confused. You say the loader arm was in the way...but you don't want an loader anyway.

BTW, I went through the 7040/8540 debate last summer, and ended up with a 9540...very little price difference.

The dealer didn't have one in stock, but they got one in about a week. Your dealer should be able to do the same, if he wants.

You say you want a heavier tractor for tillage work. Even the bigger Kubotas are not as heavy as some of the other manufacturers. If weight is really an issue, maybe Kubota isn't your best choice. I can't help you there, I don't do that type of work.

Ken

/ M8540 ROPS Question
Ken,

I see the confusion. The whole assembly that the loader arm mounts to is really in the way as the throttle is in front of it restricting my leg, so then my foot needs to angle outward to hit the throttle. I don't want a loader now (can't afford one now) but don't want to rule one out in the future.

I understand the Kubota's are slightly lighter than the competition. But with the cast wheels and loaded rears they are plenty for what I need to do if their specifications are accurate.

My dealer can get one in about 4-5 weeks, but I don't want to order without being sure of the fit.

/ M8540 ROPS Question #6  
Ken,

I don't want a loader now (can't afford one now) but don't want to rule one out in the future.

I understand the Kubota's are slightly lighter than the competition. But with the cast wheels and loaded rears they are plenty for what I need to do if their specifications are accurate.

quote]

By chance have you priced out the cast wheels? My understanding is that they are biiiiig $$$$.

/ M8540 ROPS Question
I have, they add about a grand MSRP to the price.

/ M8540 ROPS Question #8  
I have, they add about a grand MSRP to the price.

The reason that I brought this up was that Builder in his M7040 thread has said "Cast wheels are $2100 not installed" I wonder if the price your dealer gave you was for each or for both? Might want to double check.

/ M8540 ROPS Question
All you need to do is run through the build your own options on Kubota's website and take note of the difference in price for the Cast Wheels versus the steels. It's not $2100 on the 7040 or the 8540. Maybe with Radials (not an option on the 7040) and Cast and RimGuard...

/ M8540 ROPS Question #10  
The reason that I brought this up was that Builder in his M7040 thread has said "Cast wheels are $2100 not installed" I wonder if the price your dealer gave you was for each or for both? Might want to double check.

Was he buying a new tractor with them on, or was he pricing them from Kubota parts department? A bit of a difference.