M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing

/ M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing #1  

SDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Multiple Fords and Kubotas
I'm finally getting around to replacing the Woods BB840X 7' mounted cutter that I have been using with my M9960 ROPS that I bought about 2 years ago.

Ground is clean and most of the areas where I will use the BW are not steep but there are some areas where I can allow a BW to ride along a hillside extending beneath the tree canopy to avoid driving beneath tree limbs with my L6060 ROPS and 6' cutter, as I regularly do now.

I'm sold on Woods mowers and was originally considering a Woods BW 12, 12' cutter because it is a combination of 3, 5' decks and will cut more cleanly than a larger BW (I use my cutters more as HD finish mowers than rough cut mowers), is less expensive than a larger BW, I really do not need anything larger, and the transport width makes it much easier to get into and out of my 12" door.

That said, my dealer has a Woods BW180X, 15' BW priced only $2,200 more than the BW12. The BW180X is heavier, has larger tires, larger gearboxes and cuts 3' wider. This appears to be a better deal than the BW12, but because of the wider cut and combination of 3, 6' decks, it will be more prone to scalping than the BW12. It will also be more of a challenge to get into and out of my 12' door, but manageable by lowering the height cylinder to pull the wing wheels further in.

I paid extra for optional EPTO for my 9960 ROPS, and use it regularly with my BB840X 7' cutter. Obviously, I will not be able to use it with either BW because, when engaged, 540 PTO RPM is only about 1,650 engine RPM, and the engine makes insufficient torque at such low RPM to handle anything beyond my current 7' cutter (Grrrrrr).

Also considering buying another 80 acre adjoining parcel (lots of details to work out before doing so) with a 50 acre field that I would need to mow occasionally. Really never considered anything larger than the nice, compact BW12 before considering the adjoining parcel.

Haven't bought a larger cutter yet, and looking for relevant advice from those of you with similar situations.

Decisions, decisions....

SDT

/ M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing #2  
Have a 15’ Deere batwing. Love it. I’ll run it in epto when it’s not real heavy. Saves a ton of fuel and plenty of power. I would get the 15 over the 12 for the reasons you listed. Really speeds things up. I just cut 23 acres the other day with several trees to go around in 3 hrs. Not bad in my book

Brett

/ M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing #3  
I vote for the 15 also in this case. I don't think getting through a 12' gate will be much of an issue with a 15'. Also, you may consider checking the auction circuit and picking up a nice used 15' for a couple grand less than the new 12'.

/ M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing #4  
I have a Bush Hog 2515 pulled with a Kubota M9540 on hilly ground. A good match, the tractor handles it fine although a few more front weights would help (I have 700# on there now.)

/ M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing #5  
I currently have a 10' mounted. Looking to buy a used BW this Winter. Not sure whether to do 12' or 15'. Interested in responses.

/ M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing #6  
I currently have a 10' mounted. Looking to buy a used BW this Winter. Not sure whether to do 12' or 15'. Interested in responses.

Only 12’ I have seen being run are on bigger hp, smaller frame tractors that can’t handle the weight very well. By their design they have a bunch of pin weight. I haven’t seen anything I have encountered where I would rather have a 12’ unless I was mowing 14’ path

Brett

/ M9960 with 12' or 15' Woods Bat Wing
If I were getting a 12' BW and had 70+ HP I would give a serious look at the Modern AG units. They are a fair bit more HD than any of the others and completely galvanized.http://i1admin01.webstorepackage.com/modernag/virtualweb/images/12-Predator.pdf

Interesting.

I know of no dealers for this brand in my area.

The design and gearboxes look very similar (identical?) to Land Pride. Do you know if they are affiliated?

Galvanized metal is of no value to me, as I keep everything inside, operate nothing when wet, and thoroughly clean everything with compressed air before storing inside.

SDT

I bought a Woods MDS 1260, 10.5' fully mounted cutter in 2008.

Yes, the maneuverability of a fully mounted cutter is attractive, but such mowers are heavy and do not mow well on ground that is uneven. You will quickly find all of your high spots. BW mowers will follow the contour of the ground much better but are less convenient.

After watching my MDS 1260 collect dust in the barn for 8 years, I sold it with less than 10 operating hours on it. Never again.

Recently, I saw a Woods 14' fully mounted cutter at my dealer that had been special ordered for a customer. Dealer told me that he planed to operate it with an 80 HP tractor. I mentioned that it was unlikely that his tractor could mount enough front weights for acceptable steering on anything but flat ground. I used a full set of front weights on my NH T4050 Super Steer FWA and still needed to use the turning brakes with the mower lifted (the prime advantage of using a fully mounted cutter) if not moving slowly on flat ground. The 14' cutter is, no doubt, 1,000 lbs. heavier than the MDS 1260 that I had.

SDT

I have a Bush Hog 2515 pulled with a Kubota M9540 on hilly ground. A good match, the tractor handles it fine although a few more front weights would help (I have 700# on there now.)

Good information, Ken.

My 9960 ROPS FWA has cast rear centers and one cast weight on each side. I change all of my own tires so no liquid ballast.

I have a full set of 6 front weights including the 240 Lb. cast front weight bracket. The weights are not mounted but the bracket is.

Assuming that you are not trying to set lap time records, is HP adequate?

SDT