Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I received a new impact wrench last year and am ready to put it to use on a winter project. The old one I have been using is cheap and has below average torque. It came with a small bottle of oil and I have always put a couple drops in where the air hose connects each time I have used it. It still works ok and can be used for light duty projects.

I am curious what the recommended service/oiling is for an impact wrench and what type brand oil is most everyone using. The manual stated to order the Mac Tool Oil, but surely there is something I can pick up locally that will work just as good. I want to start off on the right path and expect this tool to last me a very long time. Any suggestions on what to use and how often to oil?

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #2  
We use a lot of air tools ot work. We put in a few drops of Marvel mystery oil before each use. You should be able to find that locally. Any store that sells air tools should carry some sort of oil for them also.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #3  
I use Campbell Hausfeld oil, you can get it at Wallyworld, or at Tractor Supply.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench
We use a lot of air tools ot work. We put in a few drops of Marvel mystery oil before each use. You should be able to find that locally. Any store that sells air tools should carry some sort of oil for them also.

I searched for air tool maintenance tips on Google after posting this. Saw one link saying use Marvel to clean a gummed up air tool. The link mentioned continued use of this oil would dry out seals causing a need for repair. I noticed your profile stated you were an offshore mechanic by trade. I would think your occupation uses air tools quite regularly. Have you seen this to be the case? I read several articles about in line oilers and such, but honestly I don't expect to use this tool more than once a month. I have no problem manually oiling it. Is there much more or anything else needed beyond putting a couple drops in where the air hose attaches to the tool?

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #5  
The MAC AW434 is a very good impact wrench; rebadged Chicago Pneumatic CP231.

I would not use regular Marvel Mystery Oil for the reason stated by deere5105. However, they make Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil which is what I used when I was in the business of working on air tools because I got it by the quart. But now, I used Campbell-Hausfeld because it's conveniently available at Walmart in small bottles, as stated by buggyman1.

Any oil is better than no oil, but any oil sold as being specifically for air tools is the only oil I'd use.

And a few drops of oil into the air intake before use is good, but even better is a few drops after use. Put a little oil in the air intake, one quick shot of air to distribute it, then put it away. That will go a long ways toward preventing corrosion.

And for anyone who doesn't already know it, you cannot hurt the tool with too much air tool oil. Any excess will be blown out the exhaust when you start. However, depending on which direction the exhaust is aimed, you may not like getting all that oil on your work or on your clothes.:laughing:

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench
The MAC AW434 is a very good impact wrench; rebadged Chicago Pneumatic CP231.

I would not use regular Marvel Mystery Oil for the reason stated by deere5105. However, they make Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil which is what I used when I was in the business of working on air tools because I got it by the quart. But now, I used Campbell-Hausfeld because it's conveniently available at Walmart in small bottles, as stated by buggyman1.

Any oil is better than no oil, but any oil sold as being specifically for air tools is the only oil I'd use.

And a few drops of oil into the air intake before use is good, but even better is a few drops after use. Put a little oil in the air intake, one quick shot of air to distribute it, then put it away. That will go a long ways toward preventing corrosion.

And for anyone who doesn't already know it, you cannot hurt the tool with too much air tool oil. Any excess will be blown out the exhaust when you start. However, depending on which direction the exhaust is aimed, you may not like getting all that oil on your work or on your clothes.:laughing:

The tool I have been using is a $30 tool that come with the compressor in a kit when I bought it. I was less concerned over being specific when purchasing oil than I am with this new tool.

Seems like I saw somewhere that the wrench uses full torque when in reverse and the adjustment regulates forward torque. Any truth to that or does the torque regulator control both forward and reverse torque? I hope this tool will perform better at 625 ft lbs compared to the older tool being around 200 ft lbs. If performance not as expected, I suspect I will have to evaluate the air compressor.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #7  
I guess I could be guilty of air-tool neglect.

I do use the crap out of my air tools. Especially my IR2135 impact and my HF cut-off too and HF die grinder.

I dont oil them very often. Maybe one every month or two when I think about it:confused2: And it is usually never air too oil. It is just whatever I have around. Sometimes the 10w30 that is in my oil pump can, sometimes a shot of WD40, sometimes a little ATF, just whatever.

Never had any air tool issues related to lubrication. the 2135TI is now ~4 years old, and still going strong

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #8  
I guess I could be guilty of air-tool neglect.

I do use the crap out of my air tools. Especially my IR2135 impact and my HF cut-off too and HF die grinder.

I dont oil them very often. Maybe one every month or two when I think about it:confused2: And it is usually never air too oil. It is just whatever I have around. Sometimes the 10w30 that is in my oil pump can, sometimes a shot of WD40, sometimes a little ATF, just whatever.

Never had any air tool issues related to lubrication. the 2135TI is now ~4 years old, and still going strong

Air tool repairmen love folks like you.:laughing::laughing:

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #9  
The tool I have been using is a $30 tool that come with the compressor in a kit when I bought it. I was less concerned over being specific when purchasing oil than I am with this new tool.

Seems like I saw somewhere that the wrench uses full torque when in reverse and the adjustment regulates forward torque. Any truth to that or does the torque regulator control both forward and reverse torque? I hope this tool will perform better at 625 ft lbs compared to the older tool being around 200 ft lbs. If performance not as expected, I suspect I will have to evaluate the air compressor.

I'm not sure about that particular model, but most impacts do have an adjustment for forward and always full power in reverse. And they keep making very minor changes or improvements. The old original IR231 was rated at 425 ft. lbs. I currently have an IR231H-2 rated at 450 ft. lbs. I've overhauled MAC AW434 and AW434B, but not the AW434M. Been out of the business for 10 years.

Very few people ever turn the adjustment down on air tools except on assembly lines. To keep from overtightening something, you just don't hold the trigger open as long.:laughing: Not really every accurate? Of course, but good enough for most things, especially if you intend to finish with a manual torque wrench. The torque "adjustment" on air tools simply partially closes the air tool passage to reduce the volume of air allowed through.

/ Mac Tools AW434M Impact Wrench #10  
Air tool repairmen love folks like you.:laughing::laughing:

Unfortunatally, I have never used the services of an "air tool repairman"

My HF stuff is throw-away anyway. Who actually expects a $7 die grinder to last anyway??

And IF/When my IR2135 ever fails me, I wont get it repaired. I will get a new one for ~$300. Because so far, even if mine quit tomorrow, I have gotten well over $300 worth of use out of it. The first two years of its life was with me on the job at the factory I worked. Industrial Maintenance. It was used daily:thumbsup: