MacKissic shipper help needed

/ MacKissic shipper help needed #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Bought a Mighty Mac 12PT chipper for $50. Engine had been replaced with a 4hp engine, which had also died. So, I thought, just get a decent engine & I would be in business. Wrong.

It is also missing a centrifugal clutch. Tried to buy one from MacKissic, they referred me to a local distributor, who sent me to a local retailer, who says they don't have the part, but could get another clutch & did I know the belt size, the bore diameter (engine drive shaft diameter) & the pulley diameter?

Of course, I don't.

So, anyone out there with a similar model, can you give me the needed info? And even better, can you see any brand and part or model number on the clutch?

Thanks for any help you can give.

/ MacKissic shipper help needed #2  
I think what you will find is that you need to find the appropriate clutch
for your engine, not the chipper.
Those chippers are now being sold with a 10hp briggs motor, and
they used to be 8 hp... but you say there is a 4 hp motor on it now?, which
could very likely have a different crankshaft size than what the 8 or 10 had.
Not to mention the location of the shaft vs the other motors.
What engine do you have for the machine now?
Unless you have replaced with an engine of original spec, nobody with the
same chipper will be able to help you I don't think...

/ MacKissic shipper help needed
I have tossed the 4 hp engine. It just had a pulley on it, no clutch.

I have yet to buy either the engine or the clutch, and am waiting for info on the clutch so I can match them to each other. I can get a B&S engine with either 3/4" or 1" shaft.

I can get a clutch rated for up to 8 hp for about $40. It appears that prices on clutches rated up to 10 hp jump to the $140 range, although I have some more looking to do. Unless I can find a cheaper 10hp clutch, I'll get an 8hp engine.

Anyway, the most important thing right now is clutch pulley diameter and belt size.

/ MacKissic shipper help needed #4  
So you are saying that the clutch is on the chipper shaft, and the motor just had a pulley on it? Sounds to me like it's been "customized" by a previous owner. The clutch is almost always mounted on the motor shaft on any power equipment. Have you tried contacting MacKissic directly to see if they can be of help? MacKissic  Inc They are still in business, and in my limited contact with them, have been pretty good at customer support.