made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area

/ made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area #1  

MF RED in MT

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Hey to all, I just finished my 3 point attached weight box. This winter I wanted to remove the backhoe while snowblowing, but I soon found out that I needed some weight in the rear of the tractor, :confused:. I got the idea from of this type of weight box from our TBN forum and went from there to add a few more things to it, :thumbsup:.

First: I used 3/4" plywood for a form for the concrete, the box is 20"x18"x20" tall (I poured the concrete 3.5" low from the top to allow for a storage area for chains, straps, etc...)

Second: I added some rebar and plates inside, along with 2 lifting eyes in the top, and 4 couplings in the rear of the box for a future ball hitch.

Third: I coated with oil the wood inside and out, then poured the redi-mix concrete.

Fourth: I cut a 1/4" piece of rubber to lay on the top surface of the concrete, and then made a lid for the top of the weight box.

I hope some of you can use this info, :), below are some pics, KC :D :D :D.

Attachments

• P1010087.jpg
    P1010087.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 5,718
  • P1010088.jpg
    P1010088.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • P1010091.jpg
    P1010091.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 2,500
  • P1010092.jpg
    P1010092.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 1,947
   / made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area #2  
Verry nice looking box. How much weight did that end up giving you and how did you secure your liftarm pins.

/ made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area
Verry nice looking box. How much weight did that end up giving you and how did you secure your liftarm pins.

Thanks, :). The completed weight box is just about 500 pounds. I secured all of the interior reinforement steel by welding, :thumbsup:. I used 2 extra 3/4" set collars that are flush with the outside of the plywood so the weight and wear does not abuse the plywood. I even used an old satlelite dish bracket as part of the reinforement, whatever I had laying around, :thumbsup:. Here are a few more pics that show more. KC :D :D :D

Attachments

• P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 919
  • P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 892
  • P1010089.jpg
    P1010089.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 887
  • P1010090.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 2,243
   / made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area #4  
Clever use of 3pt draw bar. Was looking at your pics and wondered how it was going to attach, then saw photo of bar mounted.

How much would you say you have in materials cost for your project?

I see some welding took place inside the box. How much did you fabricate outside and what all had to be finished inside?

Looks good. It will definitely make the going easier.

/ made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area #5  
Do you have a picture of the back? I'm interested in seeing how your 4 bolts going through back are going to be used for mounting a hitch.

/ made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area #6  
The pics are so blurry, I don't see the detail. Any chance of pics in focus?

Sounds like the project was a success for you.

Do you have a picture of the back? I'm interested in seeing how your 4 bolts going through back are going to be used for mounting a hitch.

Hey Big Wave, total cost for parts is not that much because I had these items on hand: 3/4" plywood, 1/2" threaded rod coulpers, rebar, misc metal, redi-mix concrete bags, drawbar, 3/4" set collars, welder and filler rod, etc... I did buy the four 1/2" eye bolts that were about 8 bucks, :thumbsup:. If I were to guess $$ if I had to go and buy, :confused:, maybe $100, ;).

The only thing I welded outside of the box was the rear plate to the four 1/2" threaded rod couplers (for the future rear ball hitch).

I plan on bolting a 3/8" plate to the rear four couplers and weld the 2" square tube that already has a 2" ball welded to it (from Harbor Freight), have these parts on hand also, :thumbsup:. Heres a pic of the rear of the box. KC :D :D :D

Attachments

• P1010093.jpg
    P1010093.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 931
The pics are so blurry, I don't see the detail. Any chance of pics in focus?

Sounds like the project was a success for you.

Ya, I was not very good holding the camera along with my cane. Let me know what kind of detail you are talking about and maybe I can get the wife to take a few good pics, :ashamed:. If you are talking about the reinforement detail inside, well those pics are all I have, and I was just winging it putting steel here and there, :thumbsup:. KC :D :D :D

/ made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area #9  
I found your rebar work inside the box to be of a slightly 'artistic' nature.

I'd say your box will last you for many years to come, and with the time you stopped to consider what you wanted your box to do, you'll get lots of usefulness out of your additional add ons.

Good job :thumbsup:

/ made a 3 point weight box w/ storage area #10  
Sharp looking setup. :)..good idea on storage.