Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly?

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #1  

Denwa

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B20
Hey folks, Anybody out there using magnetic drain plugs for your oils?
This seems pretty common in motorcycles, but at least my B20 does not have them. Neither in transmission or engine.

Any particular reason against using them in a tractor? Experiences?

Can't think of any negatives and lots of positives. In motorcycle tranny use they typically show deposits that are just like metallic dust. Looks fuzzy when attached to the plug, but no discernible texture if removed. Any texture beyond dusty is cause for further investigation.

Any recommends for where to get for our brand?

Regards,
Dennis

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #2  
I would rather have the magnetic plug then not. Not only does it help with seeing what's up, it helps keep crude at the bottom of the pan.

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #3  
On my Kubota, (I believe it's the oil filter), has a magnet attached to the base. I think a magnet is a good thing. I am not sure how well the filter would do in catching all these small particles. It may also give some idea the shape the engine is in by the amount of black crud on the magnet. Maybe someone that knows more can answer this one better...

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #4  
On the M7040HD there is a magnetic attachment on one of the two hydraulic filter connector threads. I always switch out my auto oil drain plugs to magnetic ones, as I can't see how it can do anything but help keep metal particles out of the engine.

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #5  
Friend of mine is a gearhead, he buys magnetic drain plugs here

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly?
Friend of mine is a gearhead, he buys magnetic drain plugs here

They certainly seem to cover the field. A 22mm plug is $11 and change.
For one plug, considering gas and time, DIY hardly seems worthwhile. However if several plugs are wanted, then it pencils out to take that trip to Radio Shack for the magnets. Besides if one just bought a drill press vice from Harbor Freight (me), then DIY is kind of a point of honor ;' >

Dennis

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #7  
I've use magnetic drain plugs on all my equipment but have never gotten around to get a couple for my L39. On my aircraft I have chip warning lights that can give good info or be a pain if it is only reporting fuzz, a natural byproduct of gears meshing. The pain part is compensated for with Fuzz Busters which burns the fuzz with an electrical spark but if the metal in the magnetic plug is a chunk of bearing or gear the warning light will stay on.
Jim

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly?
I've use magnetic drain plugs on all my equipment but have never gotten around to get a couple for my L39. On my aircraft I have chip warning lights that can give good info or be a pain if it is only reporting fuzz, a natural byproduct of gears meshing. The pain part is compensated for with Fuzz Busters which burns the fuzz with an electrical spark but if the metal in the magnetic plug is a chunk of bearing or gear the warning light will stay on.
Jim

Now that's some sophisticated fuzz busting! I can appreciate the want of such a system at level 20. Wonder what Kubota's equivalent would run? :'>

Dennis
Single engine land w/ a whopping 450 hrs.

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #9  
I think they're a good idea. If you want one, spend 10 minutes with a drill press, then insert a rare earth magnet from Lee Valley, etc. It isn't like it's going to come loose and get into anything.

Chilly

/ Magnetic Oil Drain Plugs? The good/bad/ugly? #10  
I have one on my truck (CTD) I don't know if it doe's much good given the make up of internal engine parts but it certainly cant do any harm.
I believe that these are installed by Cummins at the factory.

TGR