Magnetic Tank Heaters

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I have 2 Kat 300 watt magnetic tank heaters on either side of my hydraulic tank. Is it bad to leave them on for long periods of time and or over night. My pole barn is about 20 degrees f right now. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Frank

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #2  
What is the hydraulic tank for? Not the Steiner obviously?

I don't see the harm unless you care about power consumption. I have a device that cycles my block heater on and off, either 10min on, 20 min off or vice versa depending on temperatures. Or I would build a cord assembly that puts them in series to use half the power, if that is enough heat.

I've been meaning to buy at least one of those magnetic heaters, but I never see much of a sale on these expensive critters.

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #3  
When I used to use them, I used a heavy duty timer to turn them on a few hours before i typically needed the tractor and then have them turn off. I do not see how they can bake your oil so it is just a question of paying the electrical bill.

Ken

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters
This morning it was 7 degrees out. went into my pole barn to try to start my 422. Went to move the the throttle and choke levers - they were frozen. I put a tarp over the tractor. put a 40,000 btu propane heater under it. Waited 20 minutes. It fired right up. I had three foot snow drifts all through out my driveway. It did a very nice job.

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #5  
This morning it was 7 degrees out. went into my pole barn to try to start my 422. Went to move the the throttle and choke levers - they were frozen. I put a tarp over the tractor. put a 40,000 btu propane heater under it. Waited 20 minutes. It fired right up. I had three foot snow drifts all through out my driveway. It did a very nice job.

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/userfiles/file/2013_ZEROSTART_CATALOG.pdf Page 76. Costs less, takes less time and less likely to burn the tractor and shed down.

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #6  
or try one of these.....i have 3 on wall timers. works great

Wolverine Heaters - The Most Trusted Engine Oil Heater For Cold-Weather Starts

those magnetic heaters lose most of the heat to poor connection. i have 2 that were used for 2 days..ill send them for free...you pay shipping

those things suck like 500 watts per hour ( 2 hours = 1kw. if you pat 0.10 per KW for example, this unit will cost you $36.00 per month to use 24/7

a timer is real cheap. just plug the unit in night before you plan to use it and have it turn on for 2 hours prior to when you plan to operate it. If i know i wont be using the tractor of days...i dont bother plugging it in.

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #7  
I believe the PT425 is air cooled so a coolant heater will not work. And a magnetic, coolant, or oil heater will not help either. The problem is the cables were frozen. It has happened on mine. Because I have a diesel, when I shut off my tractor, I leave the throttle where I want it for starting and running. I have used a cable lubricator setup and it helps some.

Ken

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #8  
What is a cable lubricator setup, because I have no end to the problems of freezing hydraulic control cables on account of the heat never gets to some of them but the pressure washer does!

/ Magnetic Tank Heaters #9  
They typically have a rubber seal in a clamp that is tighten on one end of the cable with the wire sticking out. You use a spray type lubricant with the tube stuck into a hole on the side of the assembly and it forces the lube down along side the cable inside and thru the cable jacket down to the other end. Usually...sometimes:)