Magneto or Distributer ? Which is Better?

/ Magneto or Distributer ? Which is Better? #11  
We have 4 Super A's, 2 M's, and one Super C in back corners of various machine sheds. All were converted to battery ignition by my dad who was the I-H dealer here at the time. All I can remember is improved starting and fewer problems. I also have a B, a Super C, and a H to dispose of for a neighbor whose land I rent - the mags have been stripped from all 3 so there must be a demand.

/ Magneto or Distributer ? Which is Better? #12  
A couple things to consider:
1. Send your mag out to have it checked out by somebody that repairs them. I have done this before and it makes a big difference. They have the ability to put it on a test stand and check it out. I had one that worked kind of OK, but when they put it on the test stand, they found that the bushings on the shaft were worn enough that it wobbled slightly causing a .040 movement in the shaft.
2. What are you using for spark plugs? Many people have found that Champion spark plugs for older tractors are junk. I use Autolite spark plugs with good luck in my tractors.

/ Magneto or Distributer ? Which is Better? #13  
Is the impulse trip mechanism working properly? Just a thought.
This is key to hand cranking. On my H, the pins and centrifugal flyweights were worn to where they weren't working at all. Rotated the pins 180* and built up the worn ends of the flyweights and it was like night and day difference. You could just give it a lazy pull and it would fire right up! This was converted to a points/coil system, BTW.

/ Magneto or Distributer ? Which is Better? #14  
The wico mag on my jd b would pop off just letting the tractor roll on a slight incline out of the barn.

/ Magneto or Distributer ? Which is Better? #15  
The mag should trip just as the crank comes past top dead center. There should be a TDC mark on the flywheel. IIRC rotate the top of the mag towards the engine block. Line up the TDC mark on #1 cylinder with the timing mark. Make sure the rotor in the distributor lines up with #1 plug wire. Rotate the mag away from the block till the impulse trips. Tighten the mag mounting bolts. If the timing is early, the crank will kick back (I've always cranked an engine with my left hand). If it is late the engine will be hard starting and will tend to over heat easily if worked hard. The mag gives you the ability to start the tractor with a completely dead battery.

/ Magneto or Distributer ? Which is Better? #16  
The mag should trip just as the crank comes past top dead center. There should be a TDC mark on the flywheel. IIRC rotate the top of the mag towards the engine block. Line up the TDC mark on #1 cylinder with the timing mark. Make sure the rotor in the distributor lines up with #1 plug wire. Rotate the mag away from the block till the impulse trips. Tighten the mag mounting bolts. If the timing is early, the crank will kick back (I've always cranked an engine with my left hand). If it is late the engine will be hard starting and will tend to over heat easily if worked hard. The mag gives you the ability to start the tractor with a completely dead battery.

I would take the magneto every time. (thousands of recip. aircraft can't be wrong) Just not a LUCAS ;-)

I refit the Lucas RF4 with a WICO unit on my Fordson E27n. The RF4 had a soft coil, and very poor weather sealing.

But it, and now the WICO will bump off and start that Fordson by just nudging the hand crank until the impulse coupling kicks. That is so rewarding.

It's all in the mixture and prep, then, bring the piston up against compression Oh so gently, then a little more, hear the impulse coupling click and then the engine fire and chuff to life.

The Lucas unit worked fine if I pulled the unit off the tractor, warmed and dried it over the wood stove for a few hours, then reinstalled. Until the next misty morning....

Make sure that Mag is in good condition or replace it with a new WICO!