Traction Mahindra 2555 Front Axle problems

/ Mahindra 2555 Front Axle problems
The differential gears inside exploded. Took out the ring and pinion. Both times. The service manager told me that the front axle is only capable of 10% of the tractor weight; that is surprising to me because the front end loader is the heaviest thing I could be doing with the tractor.

Try working it in 4 wheel drive and using the front end loader. Our property is very steep and I have to use the 4 wheel drive a lot.

Do you want the case number from Mahindra to prove to you what I am saying is true. First off, you can tell that I am not cussing and swearing like most people with this trouble would. second, I have nothing to gain in telling anyone about these problems. I agree with you that there are a lot of great posts regarding the 2555. I am just telling of my experience. Before this tractor I had a kioti that was a 40 h.p. tractor. I used the 4 wheel drive all the time and had no problems with it. It didn't have a cab and moving snow in your neighboring state of Maine was a bit cold, so, we decided to get one with a cab.

No, I didn't take any pictures. Guess I should have.

TractorNH..sorry you have to swear about a post. I will never respond to your post in such a manor. What would I hope to gain?

Thank you mcfarmall. Have 1969 544 sitting in the yard as a backup for the Mahindra.

/ Mahindra 2555 Front Axle problems #17  
The problems with the front axle seem to indicate the speed of the front axle doesn't match the rear axle for some reason. If you are doing much loader work, that would put extra stress on the gears in the front axle. You might check the front and rear tire sizes just to be sure they are what they are suppose to be. Stranger things have happened.

If the front axle is leaking that can be an indication the pinion gear is getting loose and the problem is going to happen again. If you haven't already, it would pay to let the dealer know.

Where Mahindra had an updated pressure relief valve for the oil cooler that indicates this has been an ongoing problem that they have figured out the solution for. Hopefully you don't have anymore problems with it.

Hopefully things get better for you.

The tire size and all is correct. I happen to be a master certified Ford technician and have worked heavy equipment as well as heavy trucks. If this were an automobile it would fall into the lemon laws. There is no lemon law for tractors.
The front pinion was leaking prior to the gears giving out both times before. Yes I agree, it is ready to go again. Pushing snow in 4 wheel drive the front end was growling.
Thank you for the suggestions though.

/ Mahindra 2555 Front Axle problems #19  
The differential gears inside exploded. Took out the ring and pinion. Both times. The service manager told me that the front axle is only capable of 10% of the tractor weight; that is surprising to me because the front end loader is the heaviest thing I could be doing with the tractor.

He is pretty wrong here. His statement would indicate that the rear would then have 90% of the weight on it.

But he is right that the front end of a tractor is not meant to be the heavy end. This is why rear counterweight is so important. If we are picking up 1,000 lbs with the loader, ideally, we want a bunch more than that as counterweight, because the loader is further out and on a longer fulcrum that the rear arms. The more counterweight we have, the better it is for the tractor, as it will more evenly distribute the load between front and rear.

Let's say we have no counterweight and pick up our 1,000 lb load. The vast majority of that load will now be on the front axle. But if we add 1,500 lbs of counterweight, then the effective load on the tractor is pushed further back and more evenly distributed.

Additionally, re: 4x4 and tire speeds. In our machines, the front wheels spin less than the rear wheels when in 4x4 mode. If working on dirt or other loose surface, the difference is not impactful to the machine. But if working on blacktop or concrete or whatever, it is a lot harder on the machine. I'm not saying this is what happened, I am just pointing out how this works.

I have enough weight on the rear with a 9 foot Woods backhoe on it and loaded tires in the rear. The biggest problem with this tractor is the settup. I see the way they made the tractor so it would have a very short turning radius. They moved the front axle toward the center of the tractor. The gear settup is not strong enough to support continous use in 4 wheel drive working the loader. I see all the good reviews on this model of tractor. I just don't see why mine is breaking all the time. Very disappointing when making big payments on a new piece of equipment. I am working in loose dirt most of the time. I loosen up everything with the backhoe and then use the loader to move the dirt with. The second time the front differential let go, I was loading my one ton dump truck and slid into the side of the truck. Busted the grille in the tractor and pushed the grille guard back and bent both brackets.