Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue #1  

Roddyrue

Tractor
3540 mahindra
Hey all... new here so excuse my non technical speak. I have had my tractor for 4 years (dealer named it the demon due to all the issues). I have worked them out one by one- probably would have been less expensive for them to trade me for a different one. :). Anyhow, I went out today to hook up my disc since it finally quit raining, and my 3 point control lever went from 0 to 4.5 on the range of 5 before the 3 point would lift. And it only lifted maybe 3 inches off the ground. I grabbed my husband and he helped me lube and clean off moving joints of anything that resembled dirt or black paint (they spray the heck out of the black paint). We adjusted the arms to the position to give the highest lift and tried again. Gained another 2 inches. Put draft control in shallow position and gained 2 more. So roughly 6-ish inches off the ground! The control lever will lower in gradual fashion, but when I raise it, no movement in lift until I hit 4.5 on the 5 sliding scale. I can see the area under back of seat that moves when the control lever is moved, and it operates freely. Hydraulic oil is full and clean. Hoping for a “quick try this” before I am getting up to my elbows pulling parts and hydraulic fluid.
I am hoping you understand what I am trying to say.... guess I shouldn’t have skipped those technical writing classes in school!

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue #2  
Hoping for a è³*uick try this

Quick...try this.

You should have an adjustment knob below your seat that rotates and changes the pressure on the 3 pt hitch. It's there to let you adjust how fast/slow an implement moves based on it's weight.

Try rotating the knob a full turn and see if that has an effect on the lift. If not, rotate it the other way.

Also, you can check the lever itself to make sure it's not slipping at the rotation joint under the seat deck. Usually there is an adjustment for that as well to tighten up the lever, or loosen it.

Good luck.

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue #3  
That draft control lever should be all the way forward.

That being said, the one warranty issue I had with my 4035 (same tractor, just a couple years prior to the model/series number changes) was the three point would not lift. When I took delivery, I removed my backhoe and attached the 3 point hardware. The 3 point successfully raised once the hardware was installed, but after lining up to my rotary cutter and hooking up, it would not lift it. Disconnected the rotary and it still wouldn't lift.

Dealer checked it out and found a seal inside the 3 point lift that was dislodged from where it should have been seated. Apparently it had been sealing well enough to lift just the 3 point, but the weight of the cutter blew the seal out and it ceased working at all.

Not the news you wanted to hear, I'm sure. But on the bright side, the dealer was only wrist deep in the backend of my tractor. Elbow-depth was not required. :)

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue #4  
Quick...try this.

You should have an adjustment knob below your seat that rotates and changes the pressure on the 3 pt hitch. It's there to let you adjust how fast/slow an implement moves based on it's weight.

Try rotating the knob a full turn and see if that has an effect on the lift. If not, rotate it the other way.

Also, you can check the lever itself to make sure it's not slipping at the rotation joint under the seat deck. Usually there is an adjustment for that as well to tighten up the lever, or loosen it.

Good luck.

The adjustment knob ONLY affects how fast the 3 point will drop. It has no effect on raising it.

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue #5  
Quick, try this....did you check your hydraulic fluid level to make sure it isn't low on fluid?

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue #6  
I can see the area under back of seat that moves when the control lever is moved, and it operates freely. Hydraulic oil is full and clean. Hoping for a “quick try this” before I am getting up to my elbows pulling parts and hydraulic fluid.
I am hoping you understand what I am trying to say.... guess I shouldn’t have skipped those technical writing classes in school!

Not being an issue with the lever or linkages, nor an issue with the fluid level, I think you will need to spend some money to do some diagnostics. Least expensive would be to change the hydraulic filter and clean the strainer. If that isn't the problem, you will likely need to crack the back open.

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue
Duffer, thank you for your suggestion.... I did try that and it did exactly what TractorNH said below. But I atleast I now know that part of the lift is working! So it drops 6 inches really fast, slow, or not at all! Hahaha!

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue
SYSOP: We were wondering if all the work they have performed to date had maybe affected something else. Just 10 months ago had a hydraulic line under seat blow and leaked out all fluid while bush hogging. Dead right were it bled out in the middle of south most 50 acres. Wasn’t happy bout that walk back. We asked if it would have a 2nd or 3rd order affect on system and they said no. They replaced something (I have stopped keeping track at this point) :) and refilled with fluid and 3 point was untouched all winter. This was first attempt since the line blew. I can say, in all the repairs, replacements and software upgrades , at no time have they performed filter cleaning. I found a YouTube video on that so might need to try that and check out the linkage joint after dinner. Hmmmmm.... bake a cake or work on the tractor? Of course! Work on the tractor! You guys are the best! I really appreciate the mentor ship and advice.

/ Mahindra 3540 3 point control issue #9  
Blown line shouldn't cause anything else unless some dirt entered the system during the swap. Working in a field such things can happen.