Mahindra 4010 steering issue

/ Mahindra 4010 steering issue #1  

Jpcady

Tractor
Mahindra
Hi everyone. I have a 2012 mahindra 4010 gear with 360hrs on it. I noticed this weekend that when I steer left, it tracks left just fine. But, when I steer right, it drifts back to center. I can keep turning the wheel and it will keep re-centering. To be clear, it turns itself back to center while I'm still holding the wheel to the right. To me, this seems like the steering cylinder or the steering valve are leaking by. What I'm not sure about, is how to test. I talked to the dealer today, and each component is +/- $1100.00. I don't really want to guess and be wrong. Does anyone know how to test? Or better yet, does anyone have any other ideas of something else to check? The steering uses the main hydraulics. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Mahindra 4010 steering issue #2  
Could you have air in the system and have you looked at a procedure for bleeding the air in the power steering.
Possible a bad hydraulic pump ,low oil and maybe a issue with suction pipes

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 4010 steering issue
So, I haven't looked at bleeding, but the hydraulic system is full, the steering runs off the main hydraulics which seem to be strong because the loader still operates with full force.

I have been reading a bit about hydrostatic steering, and it seems like some of this is normal. Things like steering wheel spinners always being in a different spot because the "center" is always moving seem to be common complaints. However, I drove in circles in the yard last weekend and within a full 360 donut, the wheels had returned to straight while I was holding the steering wheel in 1 position. It seems like it tracks straight without a problem, and turns without an issue, it just doesn't "hold" a steering angle. Maybe this is normal? My driveway is pretty straight, and most of the work I do with the tractor is box blade the driveway, or constant steering in the woods, so it could be that I haven't ever noticed it before.

I talked to my local Mahindra dealer, and rebuild kits aren't available for the steering cylinder. New ones are $1100.00...so I'd rather not replace it if it's within tolerance. The tractor is a 10 series, which were made by TYM, so maybe a cylinder rebuild is available, or new cylinder is cheaper through them?

I haven't found much info on how to test a 2 sided steering cylinder for leak by. My best guess is to cap both ports and put pressure on one end to see if it will push through? Any help would be great!

/ Mahindra 4010 steering issue #4  
How many hydraulic pumps does you tractor have?

It has 1
PXL_20210417_224252820.MP.jpg

/ Mahindra 4010 steering issue #7  
From parts diagram there using the steering valve only , there are two hose going somewhere from the steering valve, they should go to a pump I'd think. . Unless you've got a leak, or air in the line. But, you night try reversing the hoses and see if the problem follows the hose to the other side. If steering pump you might be able to either replace the parts yourself or check on someone rebuilding it.

From parts diagram there using the steering valve only , there are two hose going somewhere from the steering valve, they should go to a pump I'd think. . Unless you've got a leak, or air in the line. But, you night try reversing the hoses and see if the problem follows the hose to the other side. If steering pump you might be able to either replace the parts yourself or check on someone rebuilding it.
That's a good idea, thank you. I'll switch the hoses to see if it changes anything. I think the 4010 model is the same as a 2638 but different engine. May be able to find interchangable parts.

/ Mahindra 4010 steering issue #9  
I didn't see whether you have gear or HST.