Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #1  

justinramani

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Hello everyone,

Ive posted on here before about leaks with my 4035. Since day one I have had issues with oil/hyd leaks. When the tractor sits for a few days I always notice new drops of oil under the tractor (3 different places!).

The tractor has gone to the dealer probably 5+ times since I purchased it last year. Each time I get the tractor back and it continues to leak. Today I went out to the barn and I noticed the usual oil spots, but today there was what looked like coolant on the ground as well. I am so frustrated that a new tractor has had so many problems. I guess my only option is to call up the dealer and have them haul it off again.

I'm thinking of calling up another dealer in NC to see if they can help, but the dealer that I purchased from does not charge for transport. The Mahindra rep was supposed to come out and look at it, but he showed up on a day that I was out of town.

I probably wont ever buy a Mahindra again, which is disappointing because I love the tractor in every other regard.

Anyone else have similar problems?

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #2  
Sorry about that. Mine had a small leak on one of the banjo bolts connecting to the FEL control. I put a wrench on it in 2011 when I first had it delivered and she hasn't leaked a drop of anything since then. :)

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #3  
Sorry about that. Mine had a small leak on one of the banjo bolts connecting to the FEL control. I put a wrench on it in 2011 when I first had it delivered and she hasn't leaked a drop of anything since then. :)

Jerry, I believe you may be on to the problem here. Twice, I've had to tighten the banjo bolt in the area behind my 3 point hitch, under the seat platform. I believe it was a 22 or 24mm open end wrench I used to get in there and finally get enough torque to fully tighten it.

To Justin, I suggest starting the tractor and with a very bright light, look in the areas where the banjo bolts are located. That is how I found my leak. Many problems go unsolved due to lack of light shining on the problem.

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak
Jerry, I believe you may be on to the problem here. Twice, I've had to tighten the banjo bolt in the area behind my 3 point hitch, under the seat platform. I believe it was a 22 or 24mm open end wrench I used to get in there and finally get enough torque to fully tighten it.

To Justin, I suggest starting the tractor and with a very bright light, look in the areas where the banjo bolts are located. That is how I found my leak. Many problems go unsolved due to lack of light shining on the problem.
Achingback,

Thanks for the advice. The service tech told me to be careful tightning the banjo bolts because they can break or ruin the crush washer. What are your thoughts?

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #5  
I suppose you could ruin a crush washer if you applied too much torque. Even with a long handled crescent wrench I wasn't able to apply enough force to permanently stop the leak. Remember we are dealing with very high pressure. I realized a long handle open end wrench was the only tool adequate to fully tighten the bolt. You'll be able to feel the tension on the bolt as you are turning the wrench. Just start up the tractor with wrench and light in hand, slowly turn clockwise until the leak stops. I believe it takes a lot of over torquing in order to ruin the crush washer. If you do, new ones are easy to find. This should be an easy fix for you, and you will love your tractor again.

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #6  
Wear safety glasses/goggles and gloves in case you rupture a line. Or, better yet, turn OFF the tractor, then tighten the line, SLOWLY, then turn it on to inspect for leaks with a piece of cardboard or wood, NEVER your hand!
Good luck, report back results.:thumbsup:

BTW, where does the coolant leak appear to be coming from?
And, why do you keep taking the tractor back from the dealer if it continues to leak? I get free transport, but why not go to their lot after they have let it sit in one place for at least 3 days AFTER having 'fixed it' and see if it has been leaking- if so tell them to work it again until it's solved.:confused3:

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #7  
Care to say where in NC? I'm also in NC and am equidistant from 3 dealers. You can PM me if you wish.

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #8  
if its leaking from a banjo you can tighten it to see if it helps but they have copper washers on each side which usually is the problem. if you tighten it a bit.. just a bit and it keeps leaking take it off and replace the washers. copper is soft and anytime they are messed with its best to replace rather than go back with the same ones because it usually looses the seat. on the Antfreeze check the line clamps and also if it has the oil cooler on top of the oil filter be sure the lines going to it are good.

First thing I would check is the plastic reservoir cap to be sure its not worked its way off somehow

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #9  
Keep fixin the leaks! I bought a 94 F150 new, leaked a different colour fluid every time you turn around. Best **** truck I ever bought worked every day since. I have half a dozen company vehicles and this one hauls the most loads and works the hardest. We just fill up the fluid until it stops long enough to fix the leak, repeat.

/ Mahindra 4035 Continues to leak #10  
I had a leak problem last year a new tractor. Turnered out the relief valve was stuck closed. The pump just kept on pushing. I had 7000 psi on a gauge at the the rear remote and loader quick connect. The bangos just kept backing out. Surprize. I can tell you I cranked the crap out of those bolts with a 3/4 socket. They are tough. But if you have to do that. Something is a miss. Tell the dealer to pressure test the line at 2850 rpm which is the PTO speed. Mine would mist oil 25'