Mahindra 4510 MFWD issue

/ Mahindra 4510 MFWD issue #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I posted this in the general ag tractor section but will also post it here. My Manual front wheel drive is not working. The lever/rod seems to move OK. Only change since it quit working was I tightened the jam nuts on the clutch and brakes. The free play was correct on both but the jam nuts were not near to being closed. Maybe 1/2 inch away. I just snugged them up and did not change the freeplay as both were correct.
This appears to be a mechanical unit and no electronics or fuses as on the PTO.
The real issue is going down hills. It wants to gain speed or freewheel and I have use the front end loader to control the decent speed. Also getting into any muddy areas or slight incline and the tractor almost gets stuck.
Now when I put a heavy log on the rear 3 point with that weight on the tractor I am able to skid and climb the hills fairly well. Should would be nice to have the front assist helping however. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

/ Mahindra 4510 MFWD issue #2  
Is that a lever that you pull up or push down? Mine was a little tricky in the beginning, so I adjusted it only about 1/8" so it would engage better....
-Simon

/ Mahindra 4510 MFWD issue #3  
If the only change you made was to the jam nuts, if it were me, I'd put them back to where they were prior to adjusting them just to see what happens. May have no bearing, but might as well try it at least just to eliminate that as the culprit.

You never know.

/ Mahindra 4510 MFWD issue
Kind of up/down or forward/backward. It certainly moves and I would think enough to engage but I could try that. More troubles with the tractor today. A limb destroyed the right door glass. Should not operate a cab tractor near trees. I had a similar occurrence some years ago, I think the glass about $300, the shipping a fair amount more. Not the best protected either, I broke two. The prior owner at least one and when in the shop for routine work they broke one by contact.

/ Mahindra 4510 MFWD issue
Quote on the glass and shipping. About $2200, I know about 8 years ago it was about 1/3 of that.

I do have a better idea of the MFWD. Looked underneath. The splined shaft that runs from the front axle to the transmission has a hollow tube covering it. As it enters the transmission the outer tube is pulled back about 3/4 of an inch. I can see the end of the splined shaft. Unsure if it is broken. It could have occurred when I was lifting logs with the pallet fork, I could have ran over larger branches/limbs and caused the problem. Again any thoughts or in the next month I will bring it to the shop? Hope to have it back before Spring.

/ Mahindra 4510 MFWD issue #6  
Might be the same as my 4110. There is a sliding coupler that connects the splined stub axle coming out of the trans to the splined end of the long axle. The long axle has a circlip on it in a groove to keep that coupler from sliding away from the stub axle. Same set up on the differential end. You collapse that outer tube a couple of inches to access the circlips on each end to slide each coupler away from their respective stub axles. The whole outer tube and long axle will drop straight down into your hands. Possibly a circlip has slipped or broken or possibly one of the connectors has split and broken. That outer tube has "O" rings on it to keep water out too, so don't damage them when working on it. You will need some snap ring pliers of the correct tip size to move those circlips - just slide them down the axle a little ways to allow the couplers to slide far enough to drop.