Mahindra 5010 after Report -- 3 1/2 years running

/ Mahindra 5010 after Report -- 3 1/2 years running #11  
For $260 I'd be willing to spend a few hours with a soldering iron, spare copper, and electrical tape fixing the wires on the old one.

/ Mahindra 5010 after Report -- 3 1/2 years running
Looks like the old one is burned up pretty bad. What appeared to be a connector on the bottom of it was badly burned and crumbled in my fingers. I'm afraid it's toast but don't really know for sure.

A recent exchange with a parts supplier suggests the burned and frayed wires actually go to the engine stop/kill switch...not sure if this will stop it from running but I'm guessing so.

IMG_20170117_100319263_HDR (1024x545).jpg
The offending part. Notice the burned connector.

IMG_20170117_100328751_HDR (1024x576).jpg
The replacement with a Mitsubishi connector from the junk yard. Only problem I see is the Mitsu used smaller guage wires and the 10AWG wires on the tractor suggest they have more current or need more, going through them so it's possible the wires may be too small (about 18AWG) and may burn up.

Seems Mahindra doesn't sell the part so either rig something up or buy a $400 wiring harness.

/ Mahindra 5010 after Report -- 3 1/2 years running #15  
That seems to be just a Solenoid Valve, if it is designed for the smaller wires then , that coil probly pulls less amps than your older one.

If the new one fits, and works, I would not worry about the smaller wire size. Just tie it into the larger good wires left from the original wires.

/ Mahindra 5010 after Report -- 3 1/2 years running #16  
What burns coils up is keeping the moveable part from completing it's full travel. The coil draws a large current trying to pull this moveable part into place within the magnetic field. Once the piece is fully seated, the coil draws quite a bit less current. If there was some rust or crud keeping the fuel shut off rod from fully seating, that could cause a fire. But, one would think a fuse would have heated up and dropped the voltage to the coil. So, you could have other problems besides a few burnt parts. Sorry.... :)

Replaced the shut off, got tractor running plowed snow and now the tractor won't shut down!!!!

Cut the wiring to the shut off, no go. So now I'm going to shut off the fuel and hope that works.

OK, got the fuel shut off and the tractor died after several minutes. Killed ignition and put it away. It's dark and I'm leaving in the morning so I'll have to come back another time (next week) and pull the shutoff and see if it's working and then look at the wiring to see if maybe the wiring was wrong.

Of course I also have to bleed the fuel system now too Grrrr

/ Mahindra 5010 after Report -- 3 1/2 years running #19  
Again, probably crud/rust in the shut off cavity in the injection pump. ' Usually ', injection pumps have a small screen right where the fuel line hooks up to the pump. This is to make a final effort to stop anything bad from getting into the pump, but won't stop moisture. Water can accumulate in the shut off valve area and cause rust/scale to build up. You may be able to clean out the shut off valve area inside the pump. You could also install some type of valve in the fuel line going to the pump which would shut the thing off. Most diesels had mechanical shut offs in the past, the electrics are something new. You need to address your water problem someday, too. Water in your tractors fuel system is like an STD, if you are doing your job you should never find it there.

Has it really been that long? Sorry all! 5 1/2 years later ;)

The rats ate the wiring which was causing me all kinds of trouble...got it fixed. Broke the plow blade and the 3 point in the winter of 20 (I believe), also took the tractor in for another repair (can't recall what it was at the moment)....got it back. It started leaking. Thought it was leaking diesel. nope! Blew the front drive seal and didn't know it...leaked out the hyd fluid and blew the bearing...4wd quit!

Canopy bolts broke too and had to remote it (need to fix that) -- did I mention where I am at is very rough!? lol and 23 miles from the nearest town and 50 miles from the nearest dealer?

Got the tractor back to the dealer and he fixed the bad seal and bearing and has the 4wd working again (thank god! Couldn't plow worth a darn without it and had 3 feet of snow last winter).

Should pick the tractor back up next week and get back to the property. It has 750ish hours on it and has been abused like a red headed (now pink) step child! ha! But I love this tractor so I can report now that after what is it? 10 years? Despite my beating it up and it sitting alone in the weather a LOT and up at 3200 feet in the woods with the rats running all over it, it's still a beast! In fact, looking for a rake/grapple now!
Seems like EA is out 4 months on the Wicked66 and there is a local shop where I bought the tractor with an LS grapple in stock...I want the wicked but need something now as I'm thinning my forest on a DNR program and the hands just don't work so well anymore...but a grapple would make short work of hauling the slash!