Mahindra 7060 pump timing

/ Mahindra 7060 pump timing #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
Would like to know if anyone out there has had to remove the injection pump from a 7060. If so what was the procedure to set the engine in time before locking and removing the pump?

/ Mahindra 7060 pump timing #2  
I cant be certain of the TYPE of pump you have.. Bosch VE pump?
You have to gain access to the front of the pump..
The one I did had an access plate directly in front of the pump, radiator side.
I don't know the timing specs for your tractor but you may not need them??
The pump I removed had a KEYED drive shaft & a timing line on the pump, that matched w/ a timing line on the engine block.
So no "timing" persay was required..
You WILL NEED a "special" GEAR PULLER.. I have 5 pullers for various inj. pumps & NOT 1 fit THAT application.. I had to "make do" as the old folks say.. but it worked & I got the pump off.. w/o any cussing.
I ended up using a flywheel puller for a Briggs & Stratton small engine.. FWIW You can get online for about 20.00
That puller has 6 holes in it for different bolt pattern configurations & I got lucky & it worked. Lucky being the key word here, as I had tried all the other pullers in my arsenal..
Once you remove the drive shaft nut & washer.. BEING VERY CARFULL NOT TO DROP THE WASHER.. look at the drive gear.. IF ITS CUT for a key[slot] chances are very good it has 1 in the drive shaft.. IF the gear IS NOT cut, STOP.. you'll have to TIME the pump & motor BEFORE removing the inj. pump..
I KNOW your question was HOW TO time it.. but you may not need to..

/ Mahindra 7060 pump timing
The parts diagrams show what appears to be a VE style pump. I'm aware of the basic removal procedure. Not sure yet if it is lock timed or not as I have not yet seen the tractor. I know the pump has been off before for some reason and the timing is now in question. What I DON'T know is the timing spec and/or the procedure for getting the engine in time, the mark(s) location, and how to determine if it's currently correct.

/ Mahindra 7060 pump timing #4  
OH ok.. The pump is timed using an adaptor & a dial indicator.. {Amazon or ebay} about 25.00 for a VE pump timing tool, 2 adaptors & a dial indicator.
There is a "bolt" in the middle of the back of the head & rotor.. between all the lines where they hook up to the pump.
12 or 10 mm..
You get the engine on compression stroke #1 cylinder, screw in your special measuring rig.
At "x' engine degrees, may be TDC or might be BTDC & the pump should read "x" mm of lift on your dial indicator..
IF it does not read "X" mm, you rotate the pump until the correct lift is reached..
All that info should be on the valve cover..
I'm like you.. I don't know where the marks are for the engine but I did have the lift spec..
ONE easy way to find # 1 cyl is>> remove the nut & washer off the drive shaft of the pump.. find the key way slot..
The pump is timed off the key.. IF you can get the pump #'s.. I can tell you what the lift spec is & then you can rotate the engine until the key slot is on THAT cylinder..
OR just remove the valve cover.
The pump spec will read>> .50mm - outlet A... so "A" would be #1 cylinder.. The back of the head on the pump is stamped ABCDEF or ABCD.

Thanks for that information, but I'm not really interested in the dial indicator, related adapters and dimensions at this point. I don't plan to take/adjust those readings with the pump on the tractor anyway. With loader frame and other obstructions, access for it's use is largely prohibited. As it turns out, the timing is off only slightly, and I think it can be corrected with the pump in place. I believe the main problem was fuel supply and we now have that corrected. The timing issue only appears when the cold start advance is turned off, so it can most likely be corrected by a slight pump rotation within the mounting slots.
I wasn't aware of the keyway in the pump shaft relating to various cylinder timing. So when the pump is timed and locked on the bench the keyway should (more or less) be aligned with the #1 outlet fitting? If so, then I need to pay more attention when installing repaired and rebuilt pumps of this series. I put one on a three cylinder Fiat engine once that came back (I believe) timed to #2 instead of #1. Had I been able to catch that before installation I could have saved myself a lot of time, work, and head scratching.

/ Mahindra 7060 pump timing #6  
Yes the key position is relative to the pump outlet fittings..
BUT keep in mind.. #1 cyl ON THE PUMP is NOT always letter "A".. it could be B, C or D..
On "lock timed" pumps, if you look closely, there IS a mark on the front of the pump by the front seal.. a small "hash mark"..
The drive shaft should be locked in that relative position for #1 cylinder..

The drive shaft should be locked in that relative position for #1 cylinder..

Do you mean the keyway in the drive shaft? If so I will make a note of that for future reference. At this point I don't expect to see the front of this pump since I now have no reason to believe it needs to come back off. Should it come to that at some point, I still need to find the procedure for setting the engine/pump in time. The initial question here in the first place.

/ Mahindra 7060 pump timing #8  
It should say something like: inj. pump timing> LPC .55mm outlet "A"... & should be printed on the valve cover..
& THE ONLY WAY to check it is w/ the special timing adaptor & dial indicator thru the back of the inj. pump.
IF ITS NOT on the vcover> email me w/ the pump # & I'll tell you what the LPC is..
The pump # looks like this.. 0 460 *** *** its a 10 digit #..