Mahindra dies after turning it on its side

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #11  
Just another thought, not knowing what type of battery you have, is there any chance all the acid drained out while the tractor was on its side, damaging the battery ?

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #12  
Just a thought- you mentioned that some green/gray liquid ran out of the engine while the tractor was on its side. Could you tell if it was diesel fuel or engine coolant? Have you checked the coolant level since it sat? My thought is that there could be a safety switch that prevents the engine from starting if the coolant level is below a certain threshold.

I agree with some previous comments where it sounds like there may be enough fuel/oil sitting on top of the pistons to hydrolock the engine, which is what would prevent it from turning over. Also as previously stated, the cure for this is to remove the injectors and turn the engine over. I believe removing the injectors is quite a job on these newer common-rain injection Mahindra's. That may be a false statement, though.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #13  
Sounds to me like it hydro locked and you starting it probably bent a connecting rod.

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #14  
If possible you could try an old trick slowly hand cranking feeling for resistance.

Brother Granaded his Hemi when rain water got in to the cylinder and he started the motor not knowing…

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #15  
I have a short video I will try and upload showing the tractor die.

Another thought after rereading the OP- did you immediately shut the engine down when the tractor tipped over? Or did it run on its side for an extended period of time? Did you take a video of it running on it's side?

Because if that is the case, than the engine almost surely hydrolocked on it's own oil while it was running on its side, which would most likely cause serious damage. Bent rods/valves potentially.

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #16  
This may be dumb question but with indirect injection does removing the injectors help with releasing compression? My understanding is that the injectors are in the intake pre combustion chamber not directly into the cylinder.

Agree on need to figure out a way to turn engine over slowly by hand to confirm not hydro- locked.

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #17  
This may be dumb question but with indirect injection does removing the injectors help with releasing compression? My understanding is that the injectors are in the intake pre combustion chamber not directly into the cylinder.

Agree on need to figure out a way to turn engine over slowly by hand to confirm not hydro- locked.

Not a dumb question. The Mahindra MCRD engines are direct injection, so removing the injector would have the same effect as removing the spark plug from a gasoline engine to clear the cylinders.

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #18  
Hmm...greenish gray fluid sounds like the stuff that comes out of an engine when coolant is mixed in the oil and ran for a while.

I'm wondering if a bunch of engine oil went through the breather hose and filled the intake (air box or intake tract) and was sucked in during start up. The hydro lock concern is a real possibility though.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #19  
Not a dumb question. The Mahindra MCRD engines are direct injection, so removing the injector would have the same effect as removing the spark plug from a gasoline engine to clear the cylinders.
Thanks Walt
That does make it easier to check for liquids in the cylinders

/ Mahindra dies after turning it on its side #20  
We all assume we can fix anything but in this case, if it was mine, I'd take it to a Mahindra dealer and let him fix it. Easy to get in way over your head, real quick and it takes specialized tools to tear it down you don't have. It's not a Crescent wrench job by a long shot.

I doubt you bent any valves but I bet you bent a connecting rod at least.

My 2 cents.