Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One?

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #21  
Some Mahindra models ft and finish look fine. Other models look crude - almost Belarus like. Sorry, I don't think made in India quality stacks up against made in Japan or South Korea.
Many of the Mahindra's ARE made in S. Korea! (TYM)

SR

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #22  
Some Mahindra models ft and finish look fine. Other models look crude - almost Belarus like. Sorry, I don't think made in India quality stacks up against made in Japan or South Korea.

Many of the Mahindra's ARE made in S. Korea! (TYM)

SR

Yep, those models have decent fit and finish. Other models - meh.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #23  
Yanmar stopped making JD tractors for them around 2000. Now only do the engines.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #24  
Yanmar stopped making JD tractors for them around 2000. Now only do the engines.

My 2010 JD 2320 was built in Japan by Yanmar. It was built to John Deere design and specs, but still completely built by Yanmar. A lot of the CUT build has recently moved to the US, but John Deere is an international company - which is a good thing.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #25  
Actually John Deere jumped ahead of the game and joined in with Yanmar. Yanmar shocked the world with the very first 4WD tractors ever. JD noticed this and quickly linked up. Then the next 45+ years, Yanmar made JD compact tractors in green paint all from Japan.
4wd Compact tractors , right?

In utility tractors Oliver had 4x4 in the 1900 and was available in 1962

I have a soft spot for the 30 series tractors of Mahindra, a used 4x4 5530 at the right price would be tempting.

I like the large front tires for a 55hp tractor (9.5 x 24), to many of these new CUTs have lawnmower sized front tires today but jmo

Last edited:
   / Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #26  
SAME Tractors had the first production 4x4 tractor back in 1952. A 25 or 30 HP Tractor with a 2 cylinder air cooled Diesel engine.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #27  
My 2010 JD 2320 was built in Japan by Yanmar. It was built to John Deere design and specs, but still completely built by Yanmar. A lot of the CUT build has recently moved to the US, but John Deere is an international company - which is a good thing.

Apparently the Yanmar dealer I bought mine from was wrong. He told me JD tore up the contract to have Yanmar build their tractors around 2000. But apparently they drew up a new contract. I found this link that shows, as you state, that Yanmar was and perhaps still is building a lot of JD tractors.

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #28  
4wd Compact tractors , right?

I like the large front tires for a 55hp tractor (9.5 x 24), to many of these new CUTs have lawnmower sized front tires today but jmo
Those are lawnmower sized too, my 55hp tractor has 11.2 x 24's on the front! lol

SR

/ Mahindra Tractors-Should You Buy One? #29  
Ledgemere Farm,

I own both a Mahindra Max 24 TLB and a Kubota M59 TLB. While there is huge difference in both price, weight, and horsepower when comparing the two tractors there are some general take-a ways.
First: Mahindra loves to use hydraulic hose everywhere while Kubota uses tubing where flex is not needed and hose where flex required ( backhoe and FEL joints ). I became aware of the use of hose everywhere when the Mahindra lost a huge amount of hydraulic fluid when I drove over a stick and it speared a hose underneath the tractor and hose tore open. Mahindra did not have any provisions for protecting the underside of the tractor from damage.

Mahindra uses poor quality hydraulic valves whereas Kubota valves appear to be higher quality. If I partially raise the Mahindra outrigger legs on the back hoe or curl the backhoe bucket up, after a few hours the legs will be on the ground and the hoe bucket will have uncurled to hang at lowest point. I have curled the Kubota backhoe bucket and come back a month later and it hasn't moved from where I left it.

Mahindra makes no attempt to protect the hydraulic hoses being routed to the various cylinders on the tractor while Kubota places metal shields or wire wraps over hoses and tubing runs out to hydraulics that could be exposed to damage. I had a hose ripped off an outrigger leg when a large stick became jammed between leg and hydraulic line and I was raising the leg.

The Mahindra's FEL has a significantly smaller curl range than the Kubota. The Kubota will curl in (curl towards the operator) much further than the Mahindra. Helps when transporting a heaped bucket so the load doesn't fall out of the bucket.

The Mitsubishi engine in the Mahindra seems solid so no complaints/ concerns there.

Based on my above 5 years experience with Mahindra Max 24 TLB, I would NOT buy another Mahindra tractor. I would absolutely buy another Kubota, based on my 8 year experience, because the Kubota engineering and build quality appears to be worth the additional expense, ability to do work, and peace of mind that I won't be damaging something while using tractor.

Last edited: