Mailbox studded T post ideas needed

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #1  

al3

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110, X500
Last batch of wet snow (propelled from the county snow plow) destroyed my mailbox mount.....again......

Wondering if anyone came up with a good home design for a mailbox using the heavier gauge T posts. Searched and saw someone is selling a bracket that slides over a post and can be used as a mount for bird houses, mailboxes etc..

Was envisioning something that used a pair of posts, with a cross member to mount the box on. Thks

Ground is sandy, need to go deep to anchor something. Wood post would need to be set in concrete or be really long; I'd rather drive T posts. Easier to replace when the plow wings hit....

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #2  
Last batch of wet snow (propelled from the county snow plow) destroyed my mailbox mount.....again......

Wondering if anyone came up with a good home design for a mailbox using the heavier gauge T posts. Searched and saw someone is selling a bracket that slides over a post and can be used as a mount for bird houses, mailboxes etc..

Was envisioning something that used a pair of posts, with a cross member to mount the box on. Thks

Ground is sandy, need to go deep to anchor something. Wood post would need to be set in concrete or be really long; I'd rather drive T posts. Easier to replace when the plow wings hit....

if it is set on your property tell the fellow that hit it how you want it replaced,

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #3  
Was envisioning something that used a pair of posts, with a cross member to mount the box on.

....or a platform tied to about eight t-posts? Just thinking......

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #4  
Drive a T-post. Slip over it an inverted L-shaped tubing. Hang the mailbox from the tubing. The mailbox can swing or rotate when hit.

Bruce

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed
if it is set on your property tell the fellow that hit it how you want it replaced,

I bear no ill will towards my county snow plow driver. Gotta be tough to see anything on some of those nights they're out plowing. It's rural, no road stripes or lights whatsoever. And while they do occasionally hit the box with the plow/wing, the big culprit is the wave of really heavy snow coming off the plow blade at speed. F=MXA, and that wet snow has a lot of it when propelled at 20-30MPH.

Ruffdog, as mentioned, I saw the brackets you referenced before I posted this. I certainly think they are slick, but would like to anchor the box to more than one post. Suppose I could drive a pair of posts and put the box in the middle using a pair of the brackets.

Saw a pic of someone that mounted a post on a old torsion spring; like the concept but not sure how to implement.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #8  
Most people around here use a piece of old telephone pole or 6x6” for post so that they survive the plows. Putting some reflective tape on the side makes it easier to see at night.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #9  
If I'm not mistaken, US Postal service regulations require that the posts be able to break away. I think I remember reading that nothing stronger than a typical 4x4 is allowed. It's been a couple years since I reviewed this, so I can't guarantee I'm remembering it correctly.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #10  
I bear no ill will towards my county snow plow driver. Gotta be tough to see anything on some of those nights they're out plowing. It's rural, no road stripes or lights whatsoever. And while they do occasionally hit the box with the plow/wing, the big culprit is the wave of really heavy snow coming off the plow blade at speed. F=MXA, and that wet snow has a lot of it when propelled at 20-30MPH.

Ruffdog, as mentioned, I saw the brackets you referenced before I posted this. I certainly think they are slick, but would like to anchor the box to more than one post. Suppose I could drive a pair of posts and put the box in the middle using a pair of the brackets.

Saw a pic of someone that mounted a post on a old torsion spring; like the concept but not sure how to implement.

With the brackets we are looking at, you could have a post on each side of the box, but have them staggered, or have 2 on one side.