Main Bearing

/ Main Bearing #1  

dgougeJD430

Tractor
John Deere 430
I have a 1959 John Deere 430W i am restoring. i have machined the block and head, but finding main bearing has become a problem. i cannot go any further with the engine rebuild until I found them or have them made. Does anyone have these main bearing, or can anyone give advise on where to have them made or purchased. i have looked all over the internet.

/ Main Bearing #2  
I don't know where to find 430W parts, but thought I'd answer just o that I can follow this thread and if we find a good source of old parts it will help everyone. Gotta be some. There are a lot of old of JDs being restored.
I see in the business magazines that there are even some outfits doing complete rebuilds on the bigger JD ag tractors from the '70s. Apparently they were so innately rebuildable that a worn 4030/4050 100 hp tractor can be refurbished at a competitive price to new machines.

Ours 1958 John Deere 530 is the same vintage as yours, and was stock for 30 years and then we added a JD wide front & FEL some 40 years ago....Both upgrades simply bolted onto existing frame lugs. It's a marvelous machine. I'm currently beginning to look for parts to finish a long overdue clutch & brake job on it, but other than that it is fine.
In fact, it hasn't changed noticibly in the last 40 years, and back then any parts I wanted were as close as the local dealer. In 1990 when I went to buy a tach/speedo, tune up and carb kits & some gaskets plus that bizarre automatic fuel tap - the dealer had everything in stock! Perhaps it helped that the 530 shared many parts with the B series. Those parts have to be out there somewhere. Does the 430 share with other models? With the M?

In summary, I don't know where to get old parts because the 530 hasn't needed much. But hopefully we can both find a source.
Good Hunting,
rScotty

/ Main Bearing #3  
Appears this outfit has them, although seems a bit pricey.

/ Main Bearing #4  
Standard sizes are still available from Deere. Undersizes are not.

/ Main Bearing #5  
Check this guy out: John Deere 430 Parts - Yesterday's Tractors
Main Bearing Set - Complete main bearing set for 2 cylinder models 420, 430, 440. Main Bearing Set, 1 required per engine. Available in Standard, .020, .030. Specify required size in comments section of order form when ordering. (Part No: MS-319P)
$121.44​

willy