Mainline to BCS adaptor

/ Mainline to BCS adaptor #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I have a BCS 725-8hp Kolher magnum. Found an older mainline sickle bar mower 38" that I may can get. Does anyone make/have an adaptor to mate the two? The BCS has the older 10 spline shaft, with quick couplers. Shaft measures 2"diameter, spline shaft is 0.70" outside of the splines.
The Mainline has a 12 spline shaft, diameter 0.765" , the main shaft size is 1.85" with a 0.54 x 0.75 elongated hole like the BCS quick connect.
I would really like to be able to mate these together, have some really rough hillsides to mow.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    824.9 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 785
   / Mainline to BCS adaptor #2  
Hi CM,

What you have there is a sickle mower for a SEP 2 plus 2. After BCS and Mainline went their separate ways in 1982, Mainline began importing SEP machines. Mainline is now out of business. There is no parts support that I'm aware of. Any adapter would have to be custom made. I had an SEP 28 inch blower that I fabbed up to fit a BCS, but it was a completely different setup.

Bill in WI

/ Mainline to BCS adaptor
Bill, This unit seems to be a fairly heavy, well made mower, but it would be a little light for my tractor. Would it seem reasonable to weld the 10 spline end of a BCS shaft to this one , then weld a BCS quick connect to the mower shaft? It seems this would get the input shaft a little longer for better balance. My problem would be where to find the 10 spline shaft, and would welding actually work?

/ Mainline to BCS adaptor #4  
Rats,

I thought I had posted a response a couple days ago, but it must not have taken.

Here's a short answer - I don't like welding PTO shafts. You have to get it PERFECTLY straight or you'll get vibration. Sickle mowers cause enough vibration by their nature, more is really, really bad.

You could disassemble it, take the shaft to a machinist, have him machine it down, and cut the proper splines. Then buy a female quick coupler for your tractor. This'll work ONLY IF the tang and hole are the same size as a BCS quick coupler.

There's also an outside chance you could call Joel at Earth Tools and ask him if he has an adapter for an SEP 2+2 mower to get it to fit a BCS. I wouldn't hold out much hope, though.

Sorry to say, but I think your best bet is to pass on the mower and buy a real BCS. BCS mowers can be had for around $350 and you'll have a lot more into getting this one to fit.

Bill in WI