Maintenance Tracking

/ Maintenance Tracking #1  

Dooze

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
I'm looking for a Maintenance Tracking software program for my computer that I can use to track maintenance for my tractor, attachments and vehicles. About a year ago there was mention on the forum about a program that offered a free trial. I've searched with no results. Does anyone out there use the program and if so can you tell me if it is any good and where I can get it?

/ Maintenance Tracking #2  
A search on "vehicle maintenance software" will turn up more sites than you can look at.

Most of them are geared toward fleet users but I did a little quick looking and found one at Software that appears to be free for up to 3 vehicles and is $24.95 for home use and will handle up to 7 vehicles. It can handle more if you pay more.

Personally I find it easier to use a simple spreadsheet to keep my motorhome log and tractor log.

On the motorhome I only log fuel usage. For maintenance items I punch holes in the receipts and put them in a 3 ring binder with the fuel log. I write notes on the receipts where applicable and have several pages of paper where I write down things like part numbers, when I changed generator oil, and so forth.

Receipts are good when you sell a vehicle because you can show the buyer how you took care of it. A log doesn't prove anything, it could be false information, receipts are proof.

Depending on why you want to log things it is often easier to just write them in a book rather than going to the computer, opening a program, typing in the information, and saving it.

I am a computer person, even make my living on a computer but a few years ago I bought a new Rolodex to use as an address and phone list. It's easier than using the computer.

Bill Tolle

/ Maintenance Tracking #3  
I agree with Bill...I can do anything on a computer, even write a prog to do what I need but for something like this, a peice of paper is far simpler and you can keep the paper near the tractor to make sure things get logged.

At work with a fleet of 150+ and 20 million miles/year you can't do it on paper but in this case sometimes the simplest means is the most effective.

On the other hand..if you just want to do it on the computer go to cnet.com and search their sharware section you should find alot of small home targeted maint tracking software or if you use excel...a spreadsheet would be easy to set up.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Maintenance Tracking #4  
Bill, I, too, use a spreadsheet for my vehicles, but I include everything from fuel (keeps a running account of mileage) to insurance to wash jobs to parking and toll fees and even the interest paid if it was financed. And instead of a 3-ring notebook, receipts go into a folder in the file cabinet.

/ Maintenance Tracking #5  
Not trying to be a smart*ss, but a legal pad doesn't crash very often, get a virus, or suddenly disappear.
Being a Network Engineer myself, I use a legal pad. It's always there when I need it.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Maintenance Tracking #6  
i just use MS excel for all cars etc, then burn to a CD-RW.

Robust, simple and most people have a pc and/or excel. No need for paper here. You can't erase a CD or DVD as easy and these devices are good for 50 to 100 years. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you want since most people have internet with free storage, use the server. Or use a flash stick. Or use the "old technology" called a floppy. Plus you can update and make copies to your hearts content.

With todays low cost 100 GB hard drives, $29 512-MB flash sticks and free server space, nothing should get lost. Backups are $0.000000001

/ Maintenance Tracking #7  
btolle- Not starting a war but "…receipts are proof…." are not proof of anything, playing Devil's Advocate here.

Just because you bought something does not mean it was installed correctly or even at all. It just states you purchased something at a certain time.

Now if you had a dealer do it, again I would want it in writting what was done (part numbers installed and why, who worked on it and when, length of time, warranty, etc.) Even then, the slip is not really worth anything since "acts of god" will get brought into the equation.

/ Maintenance Tracking #8  
That is true, but it is supporting documentation and makes it harder to deny that it never happend. He who has the documentation will most likley prevail.

/ Maintenance Tracking #9  
Sure the documention could/might help, but in the end it is up to someone "on a phone call" that could carless about you and your problem. They can deny you anything at anytime and for any reason. The paper is only good as the paper it is printed on.

Plus I do not do this, but with todays cheap and nice programs like Photshop etc, I can whip up some "proof" at any time. I hope you know where I am going with this? Paper is worthless in my eyes for this "proof" and application.

Warranties are not needed if they make a quality product. It is like when I bought my car, they asked" do you want the extended warranty". Then I stated, "are you saying I should need it? Is this car built that poorly".

But to close, I have never ever been asked to show proof of anything in 15 years on any of my past auto problems. That is for tractors, cars, trucks, motorcyles etc.

If some manufacture is going to put up that much a fight about their product, you selected the wrong item.