Makin Bacon

/ Makin Bacon
Grandfather told me they would can sausage, never heard of canned bacon though. Back in his day when processing a hog he said the only thing not kept/used for something was the squeal LOL!

Is that waxed paper you are wrapping in? I know some do country ham that way to keep it from sticking together. I've had to deal with that before - trying to peel apart 75 lbs. of center slices against one another is a chore.
Thanks for the post and info!

Parchment paper.....but for a similar reason....so you don't end up with a whole lump of bacon in a jar. This way you can pull the roll out, take off the amount you want for a meal, put the rest back in the jar, which now has to go in the freezer (or fridge if you plan to use it in the next week or so) until the next use. Parchment paper holds up nice in the canning process, where waxed paper would not. But waxed paper works for freezing as you'd noted.

/ Makin Bacon
Now gotta worrie bout Kermit.. If dat Miss Piggy he gonna probably cry his eyes out, maybe dehydrate right der on lilly pad.

Pass de bacon please..

Cool ads there (removed). From the days when refrigeration wasn't as common I'd guess.

/ Makin Bacon #13  
Thanks for your answer - TnAndy. Boy - you do a whole lot of canning!!!

/ Makin Bacon #14  
I really enjoy your posts and hope to be able to do what you do. You and your wife are a huge inspiration for me!!!

/ Makin Bacon #15  
Last night my wife cooked up a batch of white beans with the bacon seasoning like you show in your first post. That makes the beans incredibly good. It's too bad that I have to drive all the way to the Ozarks to find good bacon pieces like that.

/ Makin Bacon
Thanks for your answer - TnAndy. Boy - you do a whole lot of canning!!!

We really do a lot of canning, though since I built wife a hoop house some years back, she keeps us in a lot of fresh stuff by triple cropping per year things like green beans/etc. Before, we'd plant one bigger crop per year outside and can most of them at one time.

A run of green beans from years past:

enhance

All American brand canner will hold 19-20 quart jars at a time + the smaller stove top one (old National brand inherited from her mom) will hold another 7 quart jars, so we can run a bunch at one time.

enhance

Photo of our canning pantry today. It's out in the "auxiliary" kitchen where the walk-in cooler is located and we do our meat processing. Stay nice and cool to store stuff....reading 45 degrees this morning with outside air in the low 30's.

enhance

/ Makin Bacon
I really enjoy your posts and hope to be able to do what you do. You and your wife are a huge inspiration for me!!!

You, no doubt like a lot of folks, have a whole bunch to do with just day to day living. Funny thing is once you retire, the work load doesn't stop....it merely shifts from doing less for other people and more for yourself. :D

BTW....you're petting about 30-40lbs of bacon there !

/ Makin Bacon
Last night my wife cooked up a batch of white beans with the bacon seasoning like you show in your first post. That makes the beans incredibly good. It's too bad that I have to drive all the way to the Ozarks to find good bacon pieces like that.

Yep...good eating, huh ? That's why we keep the trimmings off squaring up a pc of bacon for the slicer, and that last pc before your finger get into the slicer. :D

/ Makin Bacon #19  
Old fashion butcher paper like dis probably cost less den parchment.

ULINE - Shipping Boxes, Shipping Supplies, Packaging Materials, Packing Supplies

Comes either on roll or precut sheets.

Should be good to put in oven too. You can cook bacon & eggs in brown paper sack next to campfire if you careful and don't want scrambled eggs.

Big pressure canner looks like ones Amishmen use.. One I know south of me now runs 8 x 12 walk in used to ride around on truck. ThermoKing approved because uses no electric. Plan is to add couple more, maybe freezer for community.

/ Makin Bacon #20  
Dumb city brought up boy here with a dumb question. What part of the pig is used for bacon. I have cut up deer for meat, and buy a side of cow from a butcher, but never thought about where bacon comes from. Glad you guys got a laugh on me. LOL. Jon