Making LED Lightbar Brackets for ROPs

/ Making LED Lightbar Brackets for ROPs #1  

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
Last winter I bought some LED lightbars for the JD 2520. Realized when doing some fall projects that the headlights are useless while using the loader. Figured I'd get them mounted over the winter but other projects got in the way and our winter was so cold that I had no desire to be out in the shed doing metalwork so I postponed. We finally got spring here in MN so I got started on things. Nothing fancy here. Just using flat stock to make a 'sandwich' type of bracket to go around the 2" ROPS tube. Don't want to drill the ROPs, obviously, so this was the easiest idea. I know 2" square tube clamp-on mounting brackets are available but I like projects so off I went...

First step was to cut flat stock to length and drill the holes for the cross-tube mounting bolts and the lightbar mounting bolts.
20180423_182736-L.jpg

Next I put them in the vice and persuaded a bend into them with a big crescent wrench. At that point they were ready for a test fit.
20180423_184826-XL.jpg

20180423_184833-XL.jpg

20180423_184842-L.jpg

Then I sanded them down and prepped for primer and paint.
20180423_191621-XL.jpg

More pics later as they get painted and I mount the two lightbars and get everything wired up.

Rob

/ Making LED Lightbar Brackets for ROPs #2  
Nice brackets!

I just used a piece of angle iron. Drilled it to accommodate standard U bolts. Mounted just under top of bar vs over it like you did - figured fewer branches and stuff smacking the lights. I too found my stock headlights useless since loader is always in front of them. So I disconnected the sockets from the bulbs and then tapped into the existing factory wiring to power the new lights. Not worried about overloading the circuit that way and retained the function of the OEM light switch. I really like how it turned out. Crazy bright!

20180421_131135.jpg
20180401_200225.jpg

/ Making LED Lightbar Brackets for ROPs #3  
Good stuff.

The only suggestion is to add some rubber matting or foam neoprene between the brackets and the ROPS. This will act as anti-vibration and reduce 'shaking' of the light's beam.

An old vehicle floor mat (rubber) or a cut-up stubbie-holder [koozie] (neoprene) are handy supplies of vibration dampening material.

/ Making LED Lightbar Brackets for ROPs
Good stuff.

The only suggestion is to add some rubber matting or foam neoprene between the brackets and the ROPS. This will act as anti-vibration and reduce 'shaking' of the light's beam.

An old vehicle floor mat (rubber) or a cut-up stubbie-holder [koozie] (neoprene) are handy supplies of vibration dampening material.

Already there. Thanks for the suggestion though. I just used a piece of rubber hose cut (water softener drain line?) into rectangles of appropriate size.

Rob

I thought about ordering a set of these for my John Deere 2025R: (scroll down to the Billy Worx light bracket)

Case IH / New Holland / Woods / Automotive Supplies / Messicks old stock: STRAP, CABLE, Part # 358

There are several other nice pre-made brackets out there, depending on the style of your ROPS or other attachment point. There are a couple slick brackets for square tubes for 1 or two devices. There are also many things for round tubes if you look in off-road light categories.

http://a.co/is3zE0d
711M8FH4u8L._SL1500_.jpg

http://a.co/bUgFWlD
5134DF-CQGL._SL1000_.jpg

I thought about them, but for $20 each I figured I could just get the $4 flat bar stock and make my own.

Rob

Here are a couple pictures of them mounted. I don't yet have the wiring harness tied off because I need bigger zip ties, but otherwise it is done. And showing the light output...

20180429_211246-XL.jpg

20180429_211233-XL.jpg

20180429_211054-XL.jpg

20180429_210734-XL.jpg

Rob