Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences!

/ Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences! #1  

justinramani

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
AirBnB - Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences!

Good Morning -

Over the years I have read a lot of one off posts about how to make extra money around the farm. My wife and I purchased about 40 acres in North Carolina from a bank a few years back. Neither one of us grew up on farms, or had any experience "working land". Fortunately for us there was a neighbor that was caring for the fields and managing hay production while the bank owned the land. After we purchased the land we kept that arrangement in place - he manages the fields and keeps the hay as payment for his time (we have about 15 or so acres in production).

Eventually we decided to build a house on the land. Our main residence is on the first floor and we have an in-law suite on the second floor along with a detached garage with apartment over top. When we built the house the intention for the in-law suites was for extended family visits. While it's great to have the extra space for family and friends - it isn't always being utilized. One day I got a wild hair and decided to list the extra space on AirBnB and HomeAway. I didn't expect much interest because we live on the outskirts of town - about 15 - 20 minutes from a major US Army installation.

Almost immediately we were inundated with reservation requests for both the in-law suite as well as the garage apartment. My wife and I were blown away - who in the world would want to stay way out here?!?!?! Well - it turns out that there are TONS of reasons that being people out to the "farm".

Here is a list of some that we have encountered:

1) Private Contractors that are doing work at the installation
2) Couples that just want to get away for a weekend
3) Father and son weekend away
4) Visiting family in the area
5) Visitation for children
6) Bought/sold house and need a few days, weeks, months to bridge the gap

The suites have been so successful that they basically cover our entire mortgage as well as electric bill. I am now thinking about ways to build more furnished rentals on the land that we own.

Lets hear some ideas of how you have made your land work for you....

I know - pictures or it didn't happen......

20160706_152150.jpg20160706_152250.jpg20160706_152351.jpg20160706_152453.jpg
20160828_130013.jpg20160828_130143.jpg20160828_130159.jpg20160620_194511.jpg20160619_204455.jpg20160620_195109.jpg

Last edited:
   / Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences!
Nobody?

/ Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences! #3  
Re: AirBnB - Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences!

Tiny homes are all the rage right now. Might expand the "bnb"

I have actually thought quite a bit about the possibility of tiny homes. My reservation with going that route is that the price per SF is actually quite high when talking about building tiny. I was leaning more towards building two rustic duplex cabins - maybe 700 - 800 sq ft for each unit.

/ Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences! #5  

That's a good idea. I'd put porches on 3 sides that way of its all family there's a common porch and if not there's private porches. Add a loft. More they sleep the higher the rent.

/ Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences! #6  
Very interesting way to utilize space. I suppose as long as you don't mind people being around and the insurance is reasonable why not.

What about putting in a few RV/camper spots?

/ Making Money on the Farm - Share Your Experiences! #7  

Does your zoning allow this? You can generally get away with a lot on a small scale but the larger it becomes the more likely someone notices.

Yes - we we are not located within a city. We also have multiple lots that were sub-divided prior to us purchasing the land. That allows us to build on the individual lots without running into issues of having too many homes on one piece of land.

Very interesting way to utilize space. I suppose as long as you don't mind people being around and the insurance is reasonable why not.

What about putting in a few RV/camper spots?
I don't know much about rv/camper hook ups. I wonder what the market is like for that. Do RV owners typically go to camp sites? Might be something to look into.

I would love to hear from others.... What do y'all do on your land to generate income?