Making Nicer Torch Cuts ???

/ Making Nicer Torch Cuts ??? #21  
Preheating is important but mostly in thicker parts, in plate up to 1/2 or so it's not that big of a deal as long as it's not super cold like in the winter.

/ Making Nicer Torch Cuts ???
Lots of good info - thanks. I almost wish I hadn't seen those cuts, now I really feel bad :laughing: It certainly gives me something to shoot for though. It is good to know what is possible.

gg

/ Making Nicer Torch Cuts ??? #23  
I have seen cuts done on a lathe with a cutting torch that looked like glass. The man set the torch in a stand and just advanced the lathe to make the cut. If you know what is possible you know how high to aim. I like ti draw the torch toward me on short cuts because I can wiggle less. On long cuts I go to the side so I don't have to reposition as often. Ed

/ Making Nicer Torch Cuts ??? #24  
Made these parts last week for a job at work, the cuts are alittle choppy but when you get that thick every single bump or shake shows.

uploadfromtaptalk1461840542030.jpg

/ Making Nicer Torch Cuts ??? #26  
Made these parts last week for a job at work, the cuts are alittle choppy but when you get that thick every single bump or shake shows.

View attachment 466479
You did that by hand??!! That's as good as my old Linde burning machine!!

A friend of my father once told me he saw a guy cut out 4 inch circles out of 3 inch thick plate that would clean up in a lathe in one or two passes. I never believed him....until now.

/ Making Nicer Torch Cuts ??? #27  
No sir on this table.

uploadfromtaptalk1461841699377.jpg

/ Making Nicer Torch Cuts ??? #28  
I found my cuts improved when I learned how the torch actually worked. What holes do what.

But in general (and sadly) as with the plasma, I tend to make my best cuts when it doesn't matter, and am nervous and jerky when it does!

Industrial Toys,
Do you have a link to a discription of how a torch actually works? My torch cuts used to be awful and I'm thinking of getting another one.