Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #1  

farmboyhull

Bronze Member
Looking for some ideas:

I'd like to make some new pasture. We've got about 6 acres of oak that was recently thinned - slash and stumps are still there. I'm thinking about doing more thinning, leaving a few trees, and burning all the slash. I do not want to take out stumps due to cost and loss of topsoil (soil is pretty poor already). I would graze lambs and goats in there, and could put pigs in as well. I'd put beef in there, but I read about rotten stumps leaving potential hazards for legs/feet.

I LOVE being able to get in my pastures with a mower, and this would be a first where I don't have that ability.

Anyone have luck doing this? Horror stories?

Thanks.

David

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #2  
David, there better ways of dealing with this. (1) stumps can be ground down to a level that's best for you,ie, to below cultivation depth or 4"s for growing grass. (2) By mulching the rest of the vegetation you will end up with better soils for growing what you want. I know it's more expensive at the start of your project but at the end of the day it will be justified.
Just my:2cents: worth

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #3  
rent the biggest stump grinder you can find for a weekend you will be suprised how much you can get done in 48 hrs :)

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #4  
David,

I have done both stumping and grinding and we live in a rock/ledge area. I can say with stumping you will have a mess to clean up (roots, rocks and more roots) and disturbing the ground will not help the remaining trees, plus you will lose the topsoil that is there.

Grinding on the other hand leaves the ground pretty much as it was, we have some 10 YO stumps (pine) that were ground and they decay so slowly they dont leave holes. Maybe in 20+ years a slight depression I would imagine.

On the other hand where I dug stumps and backfilled, over 15 years, the grade has settled leaving more dips and depressions.

So yes, grinding is the best option but the chips take a lot of nitrogen from the soil but with sheep and goats you should have some manure to amend the soil.

Grinding 6 Ac of stumps - you might have over a 100 stumps 10-30" size? What about rocks? Rocks and stump grinders dont like each other so plan to spend 10 minutes per stump to clear away the soil and rocks around them.

A good operator with a 75-100HP grinder can do 3-4 stumps an hour 24" size or if you rent a 30-40 HP unit 2 an hour.

I would probably rent a chipper and get rid of the slash or pile and burn it, then rent a 50-75HP grinder for a week. Then use a york rake to gather all the chips up and then disc the area to loosen the soil and seed some grass.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #5  
Curious as to how you get a good stand of fescue if you leave all the tree roots? Do you try and disc through roots and all or no till the fescue???
Thanks

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #6  
Hire a big mulcher. Sounds like about a couple days work.
larry

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #7  
. So yes said:
Gee,you must have realy different trees over there. Down under the nitrogen leaches out of the mulch into the ground.
Stupid me the nitrogen is going in the same direction.:laughing:

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #8  
Farmboy I suggest you read MossflowerWoods threads in the landclearing forum on this site. There is heaps of good info :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #9  
Traditionally here the slash was burned and cattle/sheep/pigs run on the ground until the stumps rotted away. Grasses naturally established under grazing.

/ Making pasture from forest - leaving stumps #10  
Looking for some ideas:

I'd like to make some new pasture. We've got about 6 acres of oak that was recently thinned - slash and stumps are still there. I'm thinking about doing more thinning, leaving a few trees, and burning all the slash. I do not want to take out stumps due to cost and loss of topsoil (soil is pretty poor already). I would graze lambs and goats in there, and could put pigs in as well. I'd put beef in there, but I read about rotten stumps leaving potential hazards for legs/feet.

I LOVE being able to get in my pastures with a mower, and this would be a first where I don't have that ability.

Anyone have luck doing this? Horror stories?

Thanks.

David

I'd guess most pasture in the US was done by clear cutting and burning and letting the stumps rot out.......... cows will clean a place up.