Man, they work!!!

/ Man, they work!!! #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
I was doing some work with the "new" 8n this weekend. Just pushing some stuff around with the front blade, nothing real hard. As I am pushing some logs out of the yard, one front wheel drops into a chuckhole. DOHHHH!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifTry to reverse out, and one real wheel just spins. So I am thinking, "OMG first job with the tractor, and I get it stuck"Then I get a thought. "Hey"I have indepent rear brakes"So I brake the wheel that's spinning, and she pulls right out! This is the first time I ever had a tractor with these brakes, and I got to say, I'm impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Man, they work!!! #2  
<font color="blue"> So I brake the wheel that's spinning, and she pulls right out! </font>
That's the thing to do if you don't have a diff lock. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Even without independant rear brakes, e.g., my garden tractor, when one wheel is spinning, I've applied the brakes which can transfer some power to the other wheel. It's gotten me out of some low traction conditions, but not as nice as a diff lock or ind brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Man, they work!!! #3  
Good trick Paul and great to hear you're out having fun on that "new" tractor of yours. If you really want to have some fun with those brakes, make a hard turn with your steering wheel then brake with the inside brake (turn right, brake right). You'll turn sharper than you ever thought you could.

Not recommended for lawns though, it does tend to make a mess of the ground /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Man, they work!!!
Thanks for the idea. Any thing to have some tractor driving fun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mostly I am just putting some time on it to work out the bugs, and getting used to how everything works. Figure I will do that before I put a brushcutter on the back.

/ Man, they work!!! #5  
Same thing happened to me crossing a shallow ditch (6") caddycorner when it was all muddy. Sat there spinning. Engaged dif and away I went. Next time I'll try brakes just to see effect.

/ Man, they work!!! #6  
You' be surprised how much good they do even on a garden tractor that does have split brakes. I've got one point (sidehill, mild bank right above the road) where I've got to make a turn uphill at the end. Turf tires, can't do it without the brakes. But hit the inside (uphill) brake and the pulling power is amazing.

Handy things.

Just don't try to take that 8N down a steep hill into the woods with about 1 inch of thawed mud/oak leaves on top of hard frozen ground. Don't ask me how I know this /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Man, they work!!! #7  
The worst thing about riding lawn mowers is no differential lock. When will they learn? Wonder how many people have been hurt while trying to push or pull their one wheel drive riding mower out while it is runninmg? The diff lock would be safer.

But then safety is not a concern for some manufacturers. My Murry rider is black and has no rear refelector at all. Looks like a black hole from behind. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Man, they work!!! #8  
> Figure I will do that before I put a brushcutter on the back.

Just a note - that tractor does not have a live pto, so you will want an orc - Over Running Coupler - for big heavy pto loads like a brush cutter. You probably know this already. Without the orc (acts like a socket wrench on the pto so it can freewheel in one direction) when you push in the clutch, all the momentum in the brush cutter spinning down will still drive your rear wheels forward. Into a tree, ditch, house, etc....

--->Paul

/ Man, they work!!! #9  
all the momentum in the brush cutter spinning down will still drive your rear wheels forward. Into a tree, ditch, house, etc....

Please take heed to what Rambler said...
I didn't give it a second thought when I hooked my 9N up to my "new" brush cutter. The CFO came out to watch (direct) the cutting ability and asks if I can cut the weeds from around her prize rose bush...you know...the one she had babied for the 15 years we lived at our house..."Sure! No problem" says I. So I (with large grin on my face 'cause hey, I got a new tool!) pushed in the clutch, engaged the PTO, slooowwwllly let out the clutch and backed toward the rose bush. As I got near it, I pushed in the clutch to "stop" /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifAfter about 2 days she started speaking to me again after I promised to buy her some new apple trees...besides...all I really did was prune it back a little early...
Sure am glad neither the house nor CFO was behind it!

The good news is...once I figured out why it happened and explained it to her she decided maybe I needed something newer/safer, and that is how I ended up with my new 4010 J.D. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Man, they work!!! #10  
Paul - I was in a similar situation with my '49 Cub. Hit the one brake and got out of a sticky situation very fast. I had always wondered if it really worked. Isn't it great putting theory into practice??!! Chuck