Manifold Color

/ Manifold Color #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
I've currently got the head off my Massey 135 to replace the valve guides and give it a valve job. While I have it apart, I also plan to sandblast and paint the intake/exhaust manifold/pipe so it won't rust. The exhaust pipe and muffler go down underneath the tractor.

The Massey 135 used a basic color scheme, consisting of MF red, flint grey, silver mist, and black. To the best of my knowledge, the manifold was never painted at the factory, so I'm left with deciding which color would look best.

Hi-temp (2500 degree) manifold paint only comes in a few colors, so I'm trying to choose between grey and black. What color would you paint the intake/manifold and pipe?

Paint Codes - Massey Collectors Association

/ Manifold Color #2  
Grey or Silver mist. I think the manifold on my 1085 was silver....

Actually the silver is very close to metallic silver Rustoleum.

I still have the original owners manual in the drawer. Not the tractor, just the manual...

/ Manifold Color
While looking for pictures of restored Massey 135's online, as a source of inspiration, I came across one that's nearly identical to mine, which has a black manifold and a silver pipe/muffler. Although I plan to paint my intake/exhaust manifold and pipe all the same color, I do tend to like the way the black intake/exhaustmanifold contrasts against the flint grey, much like the hoses and other black parts do.

24erekl.jpg

/ Manifold Color #4  
I honestly believe that if you do decide to paint it go with the black. I think there needs to be a contrast, if you paint it the same as the block it will look funny, not used, fake, not sure which is the right word but it just won't look right.

/ Manifold Color #5  
Grey, although the manifolds on my new 2615 are not painted.

/ Manifold Color
I'm still undecided about the paint color, though I heavily favor black. However, I finished sandblasting the intake/exhaust manifold today, and it has a nice fine textured finish which should take paint really well.

Also, for those who may not know this... When painting a manifold with hi-temp paint, more durable results can be obtained if the manifold is allowed to dry, then baked in an oven at 200-300 degrees for about an hour. Fortunately, I have an old oven in my garage, used exclusively for baking/curing small painted items, so the wife doesn't kill me for using her oven.