Manual Can Opener

/ Manual Can Opener #11  
Swing Away is the brand you're looking for. Went with the astronaughts to space. .nice grocery stores have them. Very well made and about a dollar more than the one beside it.

/ Manual Can Opener #12  
I have one which has worked perfectly for nearing 30 years - Victorinox, on my Swiss Army Knife. If I'm in the kitchen, and have to open a can, I'll walk to get my Swiss Army knife for the can opener, rather than use that wretched thing my wife put in the kitchen drawer!

/ Manual Can Opener #13  
Start going to estate garage sales and look for one made 50+ years ago.

/ Manual Can Opener
New can openers are cheaply made. I have not found a good new opener.
That is what we've found and the reason for my post.

We've had problems with all the brands being mentioned. They just don't last for more than a few months before they are essentially worn out. Looks to me that all the new ones are made of soft metal to save money.

/ Manual Can Opener #15  
What's your frequency on using a can opener? It must be 50 times what mine is.

/ Manual Can Opener #16  
Which parts wears on you? Cutter wheel or drive wheel? Or is the grip weak due to bending?

/ Manual Can Opener #17  
I've been using the can opener on my Swiss Army knife for almost 20 years. Very reliable but a bit slow.

/ Manual Can Opener #18  
Which parts wears on you? Cutter wheel or drive wheel? Or is the grip weak due to bending?
The newer ones aren't made very well but I discovered that holding the opener at slightly different angles to the can gives much better results. Every opener is different.

/ Manual Can Opener #19  
I've been using the can opener on my Swiss Army knife for almost 20 years. Very reliable but a bit slow.

When my wife laughed at my using my Swiss Army knife to open a can in the kitchen (suggesing it was for camping only), I challenged her to a race opening a can. She used her hand crank opener, which slipped and required a restart twice. I won.

/ Manual Can Opener #20  
I've had good luck with the OXO brand holding up, but I don't open a truck load of cans a month either.

SR