Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Anyone make their own maple syrup? We are thinking of starting this year as we have a lot of large sugar maples on our property and a good number of them are close to the house and trail so fairly easy access. Just wondering how you evaporate, wood or propane? And if wood, how do you do it (unless of course you have a sugar shack). If we are going to do it this year, we need to get ready soon as I believe this year may be an early year the sap starts running. The temps up here are to supposed to be 1c, 2c, 3c and 7c this week!:eek:

If anyone has pics of your setup, that would be great!

Tks.

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #2  
I've been fooling around with it for a few years, just for fun.

Last year I made over a gallon from just two trees, 5 pails. this year the sap is flowing already but I'm not collecting it, as I have no way to store it long enough to make it worth boiling.

Last year we had 4 foot snow banks to keep the sap cool/ fresh for a few days while I accumulated enough. this year it's freezing at night but the days are mid 40's and sunny no snow at all for my red neck refrigerator.

I do it on open wood flame, burning mostly red oak, with shallow pans, my way does make a little smoke flavor to the syrup, but no one complains.

My way takes a good 4-6 hours to make 2 quarts of syrup, but it's worth it as a hobby and plus we love to eat it.

Good luck,

JB

Attachments

• DSC04135.jpg
    DSC04135.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 1,003
  • DSC04137.jpg
    DSC04137.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 492
  • DSCN3498.JPG
    DSCN3498.JPG
    984.6 KB · Views: 371
   / Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #3  
We started small (12 pails over a propane cooker). Used some scrap plywood to build a shelter around 3 sides of cooker to save on propane. If just beginning, I strongly suggest you do not boil sap in your house. It will get very steamy, sticky and "aromatic". Don't worry too much about being too perfect, color and sweetness is more of a personal choice if just doing for your own purpose.

We enjoyed doing it so much, we now have 300 pails and a "shack" with a wood fired, two-pan evap. and we finish on propane (better control of final product). We prefer burning cedar for a very hot, fast fire.

PM me if you have specific questions I could help you with.

Bob

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #4  
I planted 300 sugar maples a few years ago in hopes that some day I might be able to do this before I die.

It sounds like a lot of fun and good to eat!

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #5  
you should do a search of the forum for SYRUP and there should be at least 4 or 5 BIG threads with all the information you could ever want...

I do some myself every other (though last time netted me a very good year so skipping this year too.)

I have home made 44X42" 3 chambered 8" deep pan. I can get about 40~45 gallons of sap in there and burn wood (has to be GOOD wood) as it will add a slight smoke flavor Cherry, Apple, Elm or good ole Maple are best. Oak has more tanon in it so can make an off flavor, same with lessor quality woods. I killed a batch 2 yrs ago as I started the fire w some popple that was wetish and smoked real bad and put a poor smoke flavor in it...

Mark

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production
Thanks for the responses everyone. With the weather we've been getting the last few days, I will not be surprised if the sap starts running soon. Unfortunately we are not even close to ready so we need to make a decision on what do to ASAP.

Avondale, I may PM you if I decide to go for it this year.

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #7  
Sap's flowing in Maine! Just found another 50+ buckets and we'll be running another 500' of tubing tomorrow.
32* last night, 49 at 2PM....... great temps for sap.

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #8  
Thanks for the responses everyone. With the weather we've been getting the last few days, I will not be surprised if the sap starts running soon.

Up here in Northern Ontario the sap is running on and off. Crazy Weather.

I am currently using a 45 gallon drum with the top cut off with 2 stainless buffet trays to boil in. I prefer wood because it is cheap (or free). I will only burn Maple in the stove so that the syrup doesn't get off flavored. I have currently 17 taps up and plan to put up about 15 more. Next year I plan on having a Sugar Shack with a 2x4 3 chamber evaporator. I plan on about 150 taps on gravity line and 20 on buckets.
Have a good maple Sugar'n season!

Last edited:
   / Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #9  
Sap's flowing in Maine! Just found another 50+ buckets and we'll be running another 500' of tubing tomorrow.
32* last night, 49 at 2PM....... great temps for sap.

I'm going out tomorrow and buy new supplies. I neglected to clean my taps last year and it's easier to buy new. My 5 gallon collecting pails also got reassigned (again.)
All I need is 4 good sap days and I'll have all the syrup I need.
:licking:

/ Maple Syrup 'hobby' Production #10  
Just a quick question, How long for saplings to get large enough to tap?