Market Watch

/ Market Watch #151  
Yep… 6, 9 and 12 months at one of the banks offering CD all paying 5%

Lots of commercial mortgages will be resetting and higher rates are already causing sleepless nights combined with highest vacancy rates in the nation if the news stories are accurate.

/ Market Watch #152  
I also put some money into a money market to have some liquidity, but it pays 4% instead of the 5% 14 month CD and the rates can change with a money market account. My CD is guaranteed to pay 5% for the term.
Wow, a .gov employee with a years salary tucked away in one account and still have money to place in money markets. And no one understands why taxes are so high. :unsure:

/ Market Watch #153  
Yep… 6, 9 and 12 months at one of the banks offering CD all paying 5%

Lots of commercial mortgages will be resetting and higher rates are already causing sleepless nights combined with highest vacancy rates in the nation if the news stories are accurate.
The commercial vacancies are all around us. That bubble burst is likely to make a huge mess.

/ Market Watch #154  
Wow, a .gov employee with a years salary tucked away in one account and still have money to place in money markets. And no one understands why taxes are so high. :unsure:

This comment seems unwarranted.

Some people (working in both public and private sector) live below their means and save money. I don't think jyoutz has given anyone here a reason to attack him.

/ Market Watch #155  
So yes my 1980s and 90s public education didn't teach us about CDs, investments, banking, etc. So I did a little "Googling" on the topic.

So currently let's say you get a CD at 5% fixed. You have $10,000 you can put into it. It's a five year CD. So, the money is going to earn $500 bucks annually for five years. At the end of the term your $10k turned into $12.5k.

So you're sitting on the money for FIVE YEARS and can't use it, and when that time is up you've only gained $2,500 bucks?? And, if inflation continues that $2,500 is, in practical terms, nothing? That sounds like a horrible proposition. First of all, nobody knows what's going to happen in five years. Hell I might not be alive in five years. Second, with market volatility like it is, that gain from the CD might actually turn out to be worse than if you'd used that cash to remodel a house or buy something you need while the item is cheaper. I just can't see myself finding a CD useful. When rates were low it would definitely not be worth it but even today I don't really see the benefit.

Turns out I see why my 1980s education didn't teach me CDs and investments. All those things are is gambling, and gambling is illegal in Kentucky.

Last edited:
   / Market Watch #156  
You had to make such a rude comment. None of anyone’s business but it is from an inheritance.

/ Market Watch #157  
This comment seems unwarranted.

Some people (working in both public and private sector) live below their means and save money. I don't think jyoutz has given anyone here a reason to attack him.
An Attck vs an observation based on data given :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ Market Watch #158  
You had to make such a rude comment. None of anyone’s business but it is from an inheritance.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You put your business out there but I’m being rude

/ Market Watch #160  
Turns out I see why my 1980s education didn't teach me CDs and investments. All those things are is gambling, and gambling is illegal in Kentucky.
In reality, it’s all gambling. Stock market, real estate, banking sometimes it’s just a matter of the lesser of evils. Real estate has been the safer bet in the past.