Marmot Infestation

/ Marmot Infestation #111  
Peanut butter + trap + 22 = bird food

You'd think they would learn but they aren't too bright.

/ Marmot Infestation
They can keep their pelts. I don’t touch them, if possible. They are carriers of multiple diseases, including rabies. Here is a quote from a pest control website:

Diseases Carried by Groundhogs

Of all the rodents, groundhogs are most likely to have rabies. Rabid groundhogs behave erratically, foam at the mouth, and are much less fearful of humans than healthy woodchucks, The viral diseases is transmitted via bite or scratch, so any encounters with aggressive groundhogs resulting in injury should be followed up with a visit to a medical professional.

Additionally, though rare, groundhogs can carry tularemia. Symptoms of this disease include fever, chills, headache, and diarrhea. Woodchucks can also carry groundhog ticks, which spread Lyme disease to humans.
I forgot to mention that groundhogs are also carriers of bubonic plague worldwide--rare in the US, but still possible.

/ Marmot Infestation #113  
I forgot to mention that groundhogs are also carriers of bubonic plague worldwide--rare in the US, but still possible.
True!
Map of cases from 1970-2020
Plague-Reported-Cases-of-Human-Plague-2020.jpg

I would phrase that as plague is rare in the US, but the primary cause is ground squirrels and their brethren.

I handle our ground squirrels as little as possible, if that...

/ Marmot Infestation #114  
True!

I would phrase that as plague is rare in the US, but the primary cause is ground squirrels and their brethren.

I handle our ground squirrels as little as possible, if that...
Actually plague is not so rare in the US. Every year there are a few cases in my county and throughout the foothills of the mountain west: prairie dog colonies and ground squirrels are notorious for carrying the fleas that cause plague. For the most part, antibiotics have made plague survivable nowadays.

/ Marmot Infestation #115  
Actually plague is not so rare in the US. Every year there are a few cases in my county and throughout the foothills of the mountain west: prairie dog colonies and ground squirrels are notorious for carrying the fleas that cause plague. For the most part, antibiotics have made plague survivable nowadays.
Yup, you are pretty much at ground zero for bubonic plague in the US, as shown in the map above, but for perspective, the US running average 1970-2020 was ten cases a year, though climbing of late.

All the best,

Peter

/ Marmot Infestation
It has been a couple months since the last post about my war with the marmots, so I thought I would update you, probably the last post on the issue. When I posted in June, I had added an additional 15 marmots to the tally, making a total of 202 trapped and killed or transported. I trapped another 12 marmots in July for a total of 214. I saw only one juvenile after that, and the population virtually disappeared. I have open pasture of a couple acres behind me, usually a gathering ground for the critters, and it has been empty of marmots, although still overrun with gophers.

I am not claiming victory in the war: the basalt cliffs, full of the nooks and crannies they love, still rise up in front and behind me. But I definitely have had a break in the action. If I can keep the population down to 20-30 a year I will be happy, especially compared to the 70-80 I was getting in the beginning. As I mentioned before, apple bits are the perfect lure, and I have a couple apple trees to provide the bait, so I am ready.

Another issue frequently mentioned in this thread has been the pocket gopher problem, something that seems to be more universal than marmots or groundhogs. I have been working on gopher reduction along with the marmots, and made a little headway, at least in my garden and berry patch. I made a long ground probe so I don’t have to bend over, and got a Yard Butler tool to inject poison into the tunnels, then walked the entire perimeter of my cultivated area and every row of the garden, poking every foot or so, looking for tunnels and injecting poison in every suspect spot.

This was the first year in the past three that I have successfully grown a garden. The gophers still manage to find the garden and berry patch, but the damage has been minimal compared to previous years. An interesting event occurred when I was following a long gopher tunnel from the garden to the mulch pile, maybe 100 feet. I kept injecting poison any place I saw new activity, but the tunnel kept extending; then it stopped. A couple weeks later, I saw a lone corn plant emerging from the last dirt pile. The gopher apparently exchanged the corn kernel he got from my garden for the poisoned grain. I am letting the corn plant grow as a symbol of a small success.

As I said, this will likely be the last post about this issue. I can’t say I enjoyed the process, but it has definitely been a learning experience.

Ron

Last edited: