Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing #1  

falgra

Tractor
Farmtrac 300DTC
Looking through my operators manual for my MF1230 tractor. It states there is a Glow Plug Indicator light. Mine has a stainless switch that must be pressed while you hold the key to the left to send energy to the plugs. There are not any good pictures in my operators manual, service manual, or parts diagrams on AgcoPartsBooks.com. Called Agco, they only look at the diagram, and it's not clear. Simply shows switches. Anyone have a picture of what their dash looks like??

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing #2  
I can get a picture tomorrow and post it tomorrow night. As I recall, there is a round silver dollar sized indicator on the lower right side of the dash with a 1/4" hole in it. There is a wire coil visible through the hole which will glow red after holding the start switch to the left after about 15 seconds. The longer you hold the switch, the brighter the coil glows. This indicator is above the start switch and I'm wondering if it is the stainless switch you referred to. Again as I recall this is the only chrome piece on the dash. On ours, the only input to activate the glow plugs, is to turn the switch to the left.

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing #3  
Found a photo on line, courtesy Tractorhouse, and I stand corrected as to the color of the indicator. It is the black round device to the right of the turtle/hare sign on the dash. This dash is identical to our 1230, is it different from yours?

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing #4  
Sorry, unable to attach the photo.

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing
Lets try this again... 20141110_204704.jpg

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing #6  
What are you saying is missing? When you turn your key to the left and hold down the button does any glow occur in the chrome colored 'tube'? Can you be more specific as to what's missing?

The glow indicator that should be there in lieu of the button. That silver tube is simply a radioshack normally open switch. When the key is led to the left and the button is held. The glow plugs get voltage and do heat up as normal. According to the manuals and the instructions only turning the key to the left for 12 seconds is what should be required until a missing indicator glows.

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing #8  
Let's try this again on the picture upload.

DSC00054.jpg

This is the factory set up and the black round indicator is the glow plug indicator where the wire coil glows when heated.

/ Massey 1230 Glow Plug Indicator - Missing #9  
My guess is that someone replaced the wire coil, which is in series with the glow plugs, with the normally open switch. If it works, I would probably live with it and time you application of heating according to the temperature.

I simply wanted a picture of the facotry style so that I can look for a factory matched replacement. Mean while I am going to simply short the connectors together, as having to push the button as well as hold the switch is quite a PITA. Thanks for the picture and the help, now I have somewhere to begin from! I called Agco again, and they still keep telling me the 1230's do not have glow plug indicators. your picture proves otherwise and confirms what I thought.