massey 1260 with a knock

/ massey 1260 with a knock #1  

Barrett by Langham

Tractor
kubota b2601
I recently purchased this 2000 era tractor with 1250 hours on it. I did not notice a knocking when I ran it before purchase. However, once I started using it, I started to notice that after 2-3 minutes of warm up, a knock develops. No change in horsepower or smoke from the exhaust is noted. I thought before I start digging around I might post a question to see what everyone thinks. The individual I bought it from States it has always had this sound and it was never really looked into it or get worse over the few hundred hours of use he had it. I, of course, fear the worst in that it being a spun bearing or a deformed piston with a wrist pin issue.

Thanks for any input!

/ massey 1260 with a knock #2  
Wow.. that’s pretty noticeable.!!
Get it knocking and then loosen the inj line AT THE INJECTOR ONE AT A TIME AND RETIGHTEN AS U GO..
You’ll find the cylinder that’s knocking that way and u can pinpoint your efforts..
it could be something as simple as an injector knock.??
To rule that out, swap the injector to another cylinder preferably one that’s farthest away..
Good luck.

/ massey 1260 with a knock
ya...I feel a bit duped. It was a cold day when I went to look and let it run a few minutes - no noises. I will attempt solution and report back. Thanks muchly!

Barrett

/ massey 1260 with a knock #4  
That does not sound like an injector knock to me. That would also be accompanied by black smoke in the exhaust, that you said you don't have.

It could be something to do with valves or it could be piston rod knock.

Does the sound appear to be coming from the top or bottom of the engine?

I could be wrong, but it sounds suspiciously like rod knock to me.

/ massey 1260 with a knock #6  
Yes, it could be an exhaust leak as well.

You need to get your head/ears near, around different locations and narrow down where sounds like it's coming from, where does it sound the loudest.

I will get at it with a chunk of garden hose tonight and see if I can trace it to a general area.

Thanks everyone.

well i got a stethoscope on it this AM and tried opening and closing lines to injectors as well. Opening and closing lines one at a time reduced rpm w/o a reduction in ticking sound. Probing all over engine elicited normal sounds from valve cover, and no indication of ticking rhythm @ oil pan (main rod knock location?), however, right around top of combustion area on rear cylinder I located the tick. again this AM, when starting, it needed about 30sec-1 minute until the ticking SLOWLY and GRADUALLY (over another 30 seconds) began, therefore I think it must be related to heat in combustion area and not oil viscosity, as oil would not heat up by that time.

any ideas guys?

thanks!

Attachments

• tractor engine 1.jpg
    tractor engine 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • tractor engine.jpg
    tractor engine.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13