Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw

/ Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw #1  

Zeke1eod

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 231, Long 360, Kubota B3200
I have a June 93 Massey 231, the battery kept going dead in about 30-48 hours, I installed new battery, new 2 ga cables and new crimp on ends from Napa, did a draw test on battery and sure as all get out, draw. Now when running it shows 12.94v - 12.96v constant. So its charging, I am cleaning and replacing grounds but other than dash idiot lights, head lights an key switch am I missing something that could be drawing a battery dead in that ammount of time? Thanks in advance

/ Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw #2  
Welcome to TBN. It appears you already know you have a drain on the battery. With the tractor not running and the key off connect an ammeter in series with the battery. That will tell you how much draw you've got. (Remember you must disconnect a cable and connect the ammeter in series.) You can now try removing fuses one at a time and possibly narrow it down to which circuit is draining the battery. If it's none of them it's possible you have some chafed or damaged insulation between the battery and the fuse box. You could have a leaky diode in the alternator or voltage regulator. You may have a bit of damp weed across the hot line to the solenoid. Many things can cause your problem but fixing it takes real live troubleshooting. Of course as an alternative you can just add a battery disconnect switch.

/ Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw
Welcome to TBN. It appears you already know you have a drain on the battery. With the tractor not running and the key off connect an ammeter in series with the battery. That will tell you how much draw you've got. (Remember you must disconnect a cable and connect the ammeter in series.) You can now try removing fuses one at a time and possibly narrow it down to which circuit is draining the battery. If it's none of them it's possible you have some chafed or damaged insulation between the battery and the fuse box. You could have a leaky diode in the alternator or voltage regulator. You may have a bit of damp weed across the hot line to the solenoid. Many things can cause your problem but fixing it takes real live troubleshooting. Of course as an alternative you can just add a battery disconnect switch.
I did a parasitic draw test on negative cable in series 74mA, removed fuses no change I guess I should have posted that but was thinking post was too long, is there a good test for bad diode in alternator? I thought about disconnect switch, but I really want to fix the issue and I probably will go ahead with installing disconnect after repair.

/ Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw #4  
12.9v running charge rate is just above battery voltage of 12.6. Typically a healthy charging system puts out 14-14.2 volts. You can disconnect your alternator during draw test to see if draw goes away. I'm suspecting your alternator or voltage regulator is the draw based on low running charge rate.

/ Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw #5  
Purchased a new skidsteer in 2009; dealer said to keep the battery disconnected when not in use or else the battery would drain. He was correct.
Put a quick disconnect on and did that for about five years; worked fine.

Alternator died in year six; put a new one in. For the heck of it, I stopped disconnecting the battery. Battery stayed fully charged. Has stayed fine ever since.

so.....in my case, the alternator in a brand new skidsteer was somehow the cause of the drain.

For what it's worth.....

/ Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw #6  
Short of disassembling the alternator the easiest way to test for leakage is to disconnect it and / or the voltage regulator while watching current draw on your ammeter. You can disconnect other electrical things not controlled by fuses the same way for troubleshooting.

I will disconnect alternator tomorrow and then check draw, thanks for all help I will post when disover the root problem

/ Massey Ferguson 231 battery draw #8  
The 231 used 2 different style alternators over the course of its 10 year production (Marelli style and 1 more that I can’t think of). I think the year model of my 231 had the voltage regulator built into the alternator.
I have a 1998 Massey Ferguson 231, and it has never done this. I’ve owned it 15 years. It’s on its 2nd alternator. It has right at 1,475 hours.
I have a shop/service book, operator’s manual, and a parts manual for the 231 if you need me to look up anything.

1st off sorry for delay, week from hell. It is a 1998, it has the voltage regulator built into back of it, and when I unhooked it, the draw went away, so I took it to local rebuild shop he found that the exciter wire when unplugged draw went away so he sorced parts and rebuilt it 48.00 its putting out 13.7 when running and the battery is staying up! Thanks for all the help