Buying Advice Massey Ferguson 2600 HD feedback

/ Massey Ferguson 2600 HD feedback #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Can anyone provide some feedback on this line of tractors? Are the reliable? Designed well etc. Thank you

/ Massey Ferguson 2600 HD feedback #2  
simple tractors heavy made last series that were made in brazil I think, some of the earier series brazillian masseys had quality control issues 400/500 series.i had a 481 put 3000 hrs on it without any major problems the one thing that was most aggravating was if you would shut it off on a hill the hydraulic system would lose its prime and wouldn't steer and remotes wouldn't work took awhile to prime back up.i often wondered how they could take something as good as the ferguson hydraulic system that was so good on the 300 series and the 4200/4300 series and screw it up.the 2600 hd series may have not had these issues I never operated one.

/ Massey Ferguson 2600 HD feedback
I have a 461 which was built in Turkey. It's awesome but I think the 451 and maybe another one came out of Brazil and I hear they had a lot of issues. Sounds like Brazil and India is not where you want your tractor made

/ Massey Ferguson 2600 HD feedback #4  
Hi Sawtooth,
Are you asking about the MF2600H line of tractors (MF2604H MF2605H,MF2606H & MF2607H)?

I was speaking more of the original 2600 series but you bring up a good point. Are the H series still using Simpson engines and are the tractors still made in Brazil? Thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 2600 HD feedback #6  
The H series has the simpson engine And I think its made out in India

Why do they keep moving around? This is the reason for quality problems. As soon as they get things right they make a big change then all the issues start again. Drives me crazy.

/ Massey Ferguson 2600 HD feedback #8  
I was speaking more of the original 2600 series but you bring up a good point. Are the H series still using Simpson engines and are the tractors still made in Brazil? Thanks

I assume you mean the 2650/2660/2670/2680 series of machines ? They were made in Brazil and I own a 2660 HD low-profile bought new in 2011. Not sure if they are still manufactured, though Agco still shows them on their products pages. Boy, I don't know where to start ! First I'll say 2 things: 1) After I got the bugs out of it it is a great tractor, hard to beat in many ways. 2) It took me 3 years to get the bugs out and some were horrendous and severe. I can go on and on to any length you are interested. Now that the bugs are behind me I have turned from almost literally seeking a lemon lawyer to loving the thing. It is heavy-built, strong machine, very hard to bog down. The Perkins 4cyl diesel is flawless. Spec to be 81 horse engine and less at the PTO, it actually does 90hp at the PTO on a dynamometer. I use mine often on steep ground and run with the tires 8ft apart at outer edges both front and back. Use a 7ft BushHog 90% of the time. Have a rear-mount Orsi brand arm cutter that reaches out 17ft (up, down, horiz, vertical) and works really well cutting off overhead limbs from edges, above fence rows, gulleys, sink holes, etc. The Orsi weighs over a ton and takes a good sized host tractor. I have a DL250 FEL and wish it were the DL 260 for a little more torsional strength. I wager I've put more strain on that loader than anyone you know. Inadvisable abuse to be honest. Digging out locust tree stumps with the corner of the bucket, backdragging hardpacked clay for foundations, etc. I use a 4-in-1 pinch bucket that weighs 1000lbs and modified it with 8" teeth on the lower cutting edge so that it works much better now as a grapple for lifting trees and debris. Mine is open station and I added a canopy by CoverMyTractor which I feel is excellent.
Part of the picture is that I'm 330 miles from my farm and go there once a month. That is why I have only 300hrs on the 2660 now, having had it 5 years, and why it took so long to get all the bugs out of it. If I were making a living using that tractor it would have been a whole different story -- either fixed much sooner or left permanently with the dealer. By the way, in the end AGCO supported it 100% and even extended the warrantee 2 years to cover my issues. Be glad to describe the painfull 3yr debug sequence if you want.