Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #1  

BCinVA

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400, JD 655, JD 535M, JD425, Exmark Radius S zero turn (Previous JD 4400 HST)
I've been considering trading for a new machine and have been looking at the MF 2860M and the JD 4066R. I need an open station Hydro machine. I can't find much info on the MF 2860M, other than the brochures and web info, as they are a relatively new model. I see very few reviews or feedback from owners of the MF. I have made some comparisons on a spreadsheet. A couple of things that stood out were: Engine size and HP versus PTO HP. The MF uses and Iseki 2.43 L, 4 cyl, turbo intercooled with 60.3 HP, but only delivers 44.6 HP at the PTO for the Hydro. JD uses a Yanmar 2.09 L, turbo that delivers 65.9 HP, and 57 at the PTO for the Hydro. That seems like a lot more efficiency from a smaller engine. I don't know if they are pushing the limits of the Yanmar, or the Iseki is just underpowered by comparison. Also the parasitic losses between the engine and PTO are significantly different. The PTO HP on the MF is 26% less than engine HP, while on the JD it is only 14% less! I would be interested to hear any feedback anyone has on MF or the JD, especially owner experiences. Thanks in advance!

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #2  
I've been considering trading for a new machine and have been looking at the MF 2860M and the JD 4066R. I need an open station Hydro machine. I can't find much info on the MF 2860M, other than the brochures and web info, as they are a relatively new model. I see very few reviews or feedback from owners of the MF. I have made some comparisons on a spreadsheet. A couple of things that stood out were: Engine size and HP versus PTO HP. The MF uses and Iseki 2.43 L, 4 cyl, turbo intercooled with 60.3 HP, but only delivers 44.6 HP at the PTO for the Hydro. JD uses a Yanmar 2.09 L, turbo that delivers 65.9 HP, and 57 at the PTO for the Hydro. That seems like a lot more efficiency from a smaller engine. I don't know if they are pushing the limits of the Yanmar, or the Iseki is just underpowered by comparison. Also the parasitic losses between the engine and PTO are significantly different. The PTO HP on the MF is 26% less than engine HP, while on the JD it is only 14% less! I would be interested to hear any feedback anyone has on MF or the JD, especially owner experiences. Thanks in advance!

I have a 2850M cab.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R
I have a 2850M cab.

I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.
Thanks for the offer. How do you like it? Did you do a lot of comparison when you decided on the MF? Have you had any particular problems or surprises? This is the type of feedback I am looking for. As I said in my original post, the information I have on it now is just the promotional stuff and not from actual users.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #4  
Thanks for the offer. How do you like it? Did you do a lot of comparison when you decided on the MF? Have you had any particular problems or surprises? This is the type of feedback I am looking for. As I said in my original post, the information I have on it now is just the promotional stuff and not from actual users.

I’ve put 19 hours on it so far.

My direct comparisons were a Branson 20 series hydro/cab and a jd 4052R hydro/cab.
Ergonomics and comfort drove my wife and I to the Massey.

The Branson has an awkward in and out as well as a somewhat goofy cruise control and no speedo.

The JDs door seals were falling off both 4952s they had on the lot . The fuel filler on the back of the rear fender was a negative for JD as well. The interior plastics seemed a bit cheap BUT the JD had the most functional features including external 3 point AND drive controls!

The Massey ended up being a compromise between the two with no real negatives other than an advertised lower pto power

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R
I’ve put 19 hours on it so far.

My direct comparisons were a Branson 20 series hydro/cab and a jd 4052R hydro/cab.
Ergonomics and comfort drive my wife and I to the Massey.

The Branson has an awkward in and out as well as a somewhat goofy cruise control and no speedo.

The JDs door seals were falling off both 4952s they had on the lot . The fuel filler on the back of the rear fender was a negative for JD as well. The interior plastics seemed a bit cheap BUT the JD had the most functional features including extralegal 3 point AND drive controls!

The Massey ended up being a compromise between the two with no real negatives other than an advertised lower pto power
Thanks for the reply. I have an older JD series 4 now that has been a good machine. It is getting a lot of years on it and I was looking for a replacement. I like the JD's but to be honest the dealer I have visited here isn't very responsive. They won't return phones calls or even answer emails. They act like they don't care whether they sell you something or not. I was looking for a good alternative and this new MF M series caught my eye. Not asking for numbers, but how did the JD pricing compare with the MF? The product configurator for MF is not working correctly now and I can't get an MSRP for the spec I am wanting. Thanks again for feedback.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #6  
Around here (SE Alabama) the pricing between the traditional brands were close with no clear winner though the Deere was slightly more(it has a few more small features though..)

Branson and Kioti were about $10k cheaper but I knew I would’ve been wanting to upgrade to the features of the Massey if I bought either of those.

If I had never seen the Massey I would’ve likely bought the Branson or Kioti.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #7  
I have a 2860m cab hydro I bought last February ,I have about 90 hours on it ,I run a 9 ft NH swather and a Hesston 4600 Baler with it and do loader work ,it’s been great has never seemed under powered for what I do,The regen process has been super easy I think the tractor will be great over the long-haul, more horsepower would be great but I wanted the Hydro and the Massey 2860 M was about the max if you want the hydro.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #8  

Some newer common rail turbocharged and intercooled tractor engines are often being run at over 35 HP/L continuous rating. This would give an engine with the displacement of the 4066's the potential for 10+ more HP than it is currently rated at. For example, Deere sells standalone versions of its tractor engines and provides the various maximum power levels the engines can make depending on duty cycle.

EWX 2.9L/3029H (2.9 L three cylinder, two valve heads, single fixed vane turbocharger, intercooled): 74 HP (25.5 HP/L) continuous full-load power rating with no intermittent ratings given. 75 HP is the cutoff where the EPA essentially requires urea (DEF/SCR) to meet emissions and Deere does not make a DEF/SCR version of this engine and thus limits its power to 74 HP.

PSS 4.5 L/4045C (4.5 L four cylinder, four valve heads, series turbocharged/intercooled): 140 HP (31.1 HP/L) continuous, 173 HP (38.4 HP/L) intermittent.

PSS 6.8 L/6068C (6.8 L six cylinder, four valve heads, series turbocharged/intercooled): 250 HP (36.8 HP/L) continuous, 300 HP (44.1 HP/L) intermittent.

PSS 9.0 L/6090C (9.0 L six cylinder, four valve heads, series turbocharged/intercooled): 325 HP (36.1 HP/L) continuous, 425 HP (47.2 HP/L) intermittent.

PSS 13.5 L/6135C (13.5 L six cylinder, four valve heads, series turbocharged/intercooled): 500 HP (37.3 HP/L) continuous, 601 HP (44.5 HP/L) intermittent.

PSS 13.6 L/6136C (13.6 L six cylinder, four valve heads, series turbocharged/intercooled): 585 HP (43.0 HP/L) continuous, 684 HP (50.3 HP/L) intermittent.

PTO horsepower is often underrated but it is difficult to say exactly what the losses should be unless the tractor is tested, particularly for a hydrostatic transmission unit. Generally tractors smaller than utility tractors do not get formal testing performed. The University of Nebraska tested the predecessor to the Deere 4066, the later 4720. It also had a 66 HP rated engine and a hydrostatic transmission, although it was Deere's 2.4 L skid loader engine (4024T) rather than a Yanmar engine. It was rated at 56 PTO HP and tested at 59 HP for an 11% loss. No hydrostatic Massey Ferguson or Iseki tractors have been tested by Nebraska.

A decent rule of thumb for a gear transmission is about an 8-10% loss at the PTO vs. flywheel. There doesn't seem to be a rule of thumb for hydrostatic transmissions other than it's more than a gear transmission due to hydrostatic pumping losses.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #9  
I saw this to when I was evaluating MF's product lineup. The Korean tractors are even worse when it comes to parasitic loss. As you are finding out not all tractors are created equal.

/ Massey Ferguson 2860M vs JD 4066R #10  
I like the JD's but to be honest the dealer I have visited here isn't very responsive. They won't return phones calls or even answer emails. They act like they don't care whether they sell you something or not.
This has been my same exact experience with JD as well as several other members here.