Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working

/ Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working #1  

Mule76

Tractor
MF GC 1710
Does anyone have any advice for a temperature gauge for a Massey Ferguson GC 1710 that doesn’t work. I recently bought the 1710 so I have no idea how long it has not been working. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mule76

/ Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working #2  
No personal knowledge, but these two links may help you

/ Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working #3  
My GC 1715 temp gauge did not work directly from new purchase.... Discovered the 2-3 small screws that connect gauge mechanism to circuit board were loose, gently lightened them up all is good.... Something you might check....

/ Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working
Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate it. I checked the three screws on the circuit board like WranglerX suggested and they were tight. I checked the wire connected to the sensor and it seems like it is connected, which relates to the video seville009 referenced. I also ran an alligator test wire from the wire that connects to the sensor and grounded it to the engine and turned the key and nothing changed on the temperature gauge. I also pulled the plug from the inside of the dash and checked for visual issues and didn’t see anything. Finally, I tried to check the fuse. It appears the sensor wire goes to a slow blow fuse. However, I can’t figure out how to remove the slow blow fuse. The slow blow fuse is just above the use box. Picture 2 is of the sensor.

Attachments

• 829C10BA-386C-431C-A61B-2D6477A5A566.jpeg
    829C10BA-386C-431C-A61B-2D6477A5A566.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 59
  • 98EE7653-6682-4067-BD0E-47D87CEFD6E2.jpeg
    98EE7653-6682-4067-BD0E-47D87CEFD6E2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working #5  
There are 2 40 amp fuses under the cover, there is a tab on side of cover opposite hinge side.... Lift on tab, open cover, fuses pull directly straight out...

One fuse is for alternator output if fuse is blown alternator will not charge battery or power system.. (fuse 29 is electrical schematic)

One fuse is for "electrical system " power. if this fuse is blown there will be no power anywhere in system and all electrical control will be dead....(fuse 31 in electrical schematic)

If you ground input wire to gauge (at temperature sensor) and gauge does not move then problem is with gauge mechanism.... The temperature gauge uses same +12vdc supplied to most functions of your dash board...

829C10BA-386C-431C-A61B-2D6477A5A566.jpg

MF elect-wiring.jpg

MF elect Parts ID.jpg

Fuses.jpg

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working #6  
Back to those 3 screws again. I think the gauge grounds through them. On mine there was some sort of factory applied clear varnish coating that prevented the ground. I took the screws out and cleaned where they made contact and wallah!

/ Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working
Langanobob, thanks, I will try that too. Did you take all three screws out and clean them with something? Also, did you also clean the threads they screw in to? What did you use to clean whatever varnish you referenced?

Also, for anyone who knows, if I remove the plug from the back of the dash (it has five total wires going into it as you can see from the picture I posted above), could I clip an alligator clip wire on to the post for the temperature sensor wire and ground it to the engine block and turn the key? Would that get the gauge to go to hot and help me determine if the gauge is the problem or the wire?

/ Massey Ferguson GC 1710 temperature gauge not working #8  
If you do the screw cleaning thing...Only do one at a time to keep gauge indexed properly...

Last edited: